Go Down

Topic: Arduino UNO and NXT 2.0 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

0xN35T

Hi everybody. I want to connect my UNO to NXT 2.0 . Is this possible over USB [ Arduino pins <---> NXT USB ] ? Or I have to connect it other way. And very last thing is using SPI and/or some kind of library?

Grumpy_Mike

I want to connect my UNO to NXT 2.0 .

To do what?
To connect the brick or the peripherals?

And very last thing is using SPI and/or some kind of library?

No that will never work because no Lego stuff has SPI.

0xN35T

I want to use NXT to move servos and also use it as memory extension. So I want to know how I can communicate w/NXT.

Grumpy_Mike

and also use it as memory extension

No you can't do that, the software on an NXT will not let that happen and also you can't use memory extensions on the Arduino anyway.

What you could do is to reprogram the NXT with another language, there are a few about but LeJOS looks the most advanced.
http://www.lejos.org/
That will allow you serial communication I think so you can sent data to it from the Arduino.

0xN35T

I thougt like NXT will receive signal and do it´s work. And then send signal about completion.

Grumpy_Mike

The EV3 will do this but I don't think the NXT will.

Denbo

May 11, 2014, 11:48 pm Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:50 pm by Denbo Reason: 1
We run a Robotics program that teaches both NXT programming and Arduino.    I have communicated between the two devices in 3 different ways but all of them were with RobotC on the NXT.  

• Using RobotC on the NXT 2.0 I have communicated with Arduino's over I2C (where the Arduino is an I2C slave).

• Using the NXT's high speed serial (sensor port 4) with an Arduino via an RS485 chip.  

• Using Xbees

If you just want to move Servos I've done that on an NXT (again with RobotC) using the Adafruit PWM Servo driver.  No Arduino was required.

Grumpy_Mike

Thanks for that.  +1

RobotC is the other "big" alternative software you can run on the brick. I have used NQC ( not quite C ) on the first mindstorms brick but not RobotC.

Denbo

Programming for I2C in RobotC is quite easy.   Hooking it up to an Arduino can be pretty useful for those sensors that don't like to hook up directly to the NXT(or porting the library over would be too hard).

We had one team represent the USA at the RoboCupJr last year in Eindhoven using an NXT connected to an Arduino that returned the values of 5 ping sensors. 

Go Up