Go Down

Topic: Sanguino with a serial port (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Prakash W Dandekar

Hi,

Has anyone built a Sanguino with MAX232 to connect to COM1 port of a desktop PC?

Can he/she please share the schematic?

I have built one and it is not working.

I am slightly confused whether RTS or DTR line should be used for resetting the chip.

Regards,

-P W Dandekar
Prakash W Dandekar
Head, Incubation Center, Dean Academic & Professor in Electrical & Electronics Engg.
Swami Vivekanand College of Engg, Khandwa Road, INDORE MP

WanaGo

I had one of these development boards from Sparkfun which I put a 644P in and converted it to use the Sanguino bootloader. I just put a header on to connect a FTDI programing cable, and it was then a sanguino with a serial port.

Have a look at the schematic of the board to find out how to do the MAX232 part.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=31

Hope that is of some help

James

Prakash W Dandekar

Thanks James,

I looked at the Sparkfun schematic as well as similar board from www.olimex.com/dev - AVR-P40-8515.

In both cases, they have converted DTR/RTS signals from RS232 to TTL and left them unconnected on pins. They have not connected RTS/DTR signal to RESET via a 0.1 mfd capacitor as they do in FREEDUINO Serial or SEVERINO.

If you look at the Sanguino schematic by Zack Hoeken, you will see RTS connected to RESET via a 0.1 mfd capacitor. But he uses a FTDI USB to 232 converter chip.

I wanted to try the same here with MAX232.

Thanks again.

-Prakash
Prakash W Dandekar
Head, Incubation Center, Dean Academic & Professor in Electrical & Electronics Engg.
Swami Vivekanand College of Engg, Khandwa Road, INDORE MP

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy