Go Down

Topic: Aeroquad without aeroquad shield possible? (Read 2781 times) previous topic - next topic

stryker

Hi,

Im planning to start an aeroquad project based on the build list and stuff here: http://www.aeroquad.com/content.php?114

However, i just found out that they do not stock the aeroquad shield at the moment due to development of a newer version of it.

I am wondering if it is possible to connect the 5DOF IMU and Gyro to the duemilanove using another method.

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

cr0sh

Yes - they even mention on the site using a prototyping shield instead; if you look at the schematice for the aeroquad shield:

http://aeroquad.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Documentation/Shield/AeroQuad_v1.7/AeroQuad_v17_Schematic.pdf

You will see it is pretty much nothing more than a breakout board; you should be able to set up something similar with a prototyping shield (or no shield at all!)...

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Inopia

You could try building a baronpilot: http://www.elenafrancesco.org/arduino/baronpilot/

stryker

Thanks for the input guys. But as a beginner, i dont really understand what a breakout board does. I understand that it is a board that stacks on top of the arduino and allows u to connect the various sensors more easily and neatly.

So, does using jumper wires to the respective pinholes mean that i can get rid of the shield entirely?

Thanks again.

cr0sh

Aug 26, 2010, 05:29 pm Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 05:29 pm by keeper63@cox.net Reason: 1
Thanks for the input guys. But as a beginner, i dont really understand what a breakout board does. I understand that it is a board that stacks on top of the arduino and allows u to connect the various sensors more easily and neatly.

Let me clear something up: Technically, a breakout board is a board designed to route signal and other lines in a manner that makes the underlying system easier to interface with; in this case, the board groups things together for the sensors. It doesn't necessarily stack on top of the Arduino (ie, as a shield); though in this case it does. A breakout board can also be used, for instance, to allow you to easily use a part that might be otherwise difficult to use, especially in prototyping; for instance, an SMT IC or similar, to bring the tightly spaced pins out to wider spaced 0.1 inch pins, to fit in a breadboard, or be more easily soldered to. If you notice, by those definitions - the entire Arduino board is a "breakout" board (for the ATMega).

So, does using jumper wires to the respective pinholes mean that i can get rid of the shield entirely?

Yes. In the case of this board, you should follow the schematic given for it for the hookup (ie, there were a ton of capacitors on the analog IO lines for some of the sensors - they are probably needed for noise supression, etc - so they should be included).

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

stryker

Thanks alot cr0sh. That answered my question. Alright i will try to look into the schematics and figure it out from there.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy