Go Down

Topic: Standalone with Ethernet - Few Questions (Read 521 times) previous topic - next topic

WanaGo

Oct 20, 2010, 09:11 pm Last Edit: Oct 20, 2010, 09:23 pm by WanaGo Reason: 1
Hello

I am building a modular microcontroller system using a mega644p as the main processor, which interfaces to a high speed counter board with a 328 on it, and to a few other relay and opto optoisolated boards with dumb IO expanders etc. All going well. The communications backbone between boards is I2C.

What I am wanting to do now is to modify the main processor board to have ethernet on it. The 644P has 2 serial ports. Currently I use 1 for programming and sending data to a Python program on a PC, and the other for talking to a 24x8 Character LCD with a serial backpack.

Is there an ethernet module available that may be part of someones shield, that I can purchase somewhere and plug into my processor board? I can effectively make my processor board have the required header to plug it it. I remember seeing one somewhere but havent found it again yet.

The other question is, do these ethernet shields on the arduino's utilise a serial port for comms, or do they use SPI or something? Basically I want to keep the 2 serial ports I have the same, so if there is an ethernet module available which talks on SPI or something then that would be perfect.

Basically I want to change the comms to the Python program on a PC from the serial port, to the ethernet port, as I want to add in a hand controller to the project, and that would talk over the serial port instead.

If anyone has seen an ethernet module that is arduino compatible (not a full shield, but a module that plugs into a shield), can you reply to this please. If it talks over SPI then that is exactly what I need.

Thanks
James

WanaGo

Ah I did manage to find the module I had seen

WIZ812MJ

So this is compatible with the Arduino Library, which is good...

It states it required 3.3V, but has 5V tolerant IO... So I just need to supply it with 3.3V and connect the IO up to the Arduino as per usual (I am running everything off 5V) - and it will all be ok?

Cheers
James

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy