Go Down

Topic: Designing shields (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

Henry_Best

Many times I see the sort of question: "How do I get shield X to work with shield Y when they both use pin Z?"
Surely it's not beyond the wit of shield designers to give the user a choice of pins (using, for example, configurable jumpers) to avoid conflicts. Shield designers seem to be of the Henry Ford variety..."You can have any pin arrangement you want, as long as it's the one I choose!"
I realise that there may be space constraints and that some shields require PWM and/or analogue pins that cannot be changed, but purely digital inputs/outputs could use almost any of the other pins. If there were simply pads that the user could solder jumpers to, it would not increase the cost of the shield.
The inclusion of the possibility to easily reconfigure the input/output pins would increase the versatility of the shield and, therefore, increase it's sales potential.
What brought this to mind is that I'm designing a shield that uses 6 purely digital inputs/outputs and currently I'm using pins A0 to A5 (probably the least conflicted pins). But what if the user needs his analogue pins for something else?

Runaway Pancake

May 27, 2014, 03:35 am Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:43 am by Runaway Pancake Reason: 1
Then there are those who cannot or will not solder.
No matter what, it just won't be universal enough.
It'll always be something.

> > > I've modified shields, too
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=165923.msg1240333#msg1240333
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

Henry_Best

Then there are those who cannot or will not solder.

Yes, but it's not a particularly difficult skill to acquire.
No matter what, it just won't be universal enough.

Agreed, but some versatility is better than none.
It'll always be something.

Yes, but why not mitigate where we can?
> > > I've modified shields, too

So have I.   :0 :0

CrossRoads

So why not make a shield with male pins, and use jumper wires to select what's connected to what?
No soldering needed then.
Does take up more room tho.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Henry_Best

So why not make a shield with male pins, and use jumper wires to select what's connected to what?
No soldering needed then.
Does take up more room tho.
Thanks for that suggestion, XRoads. I'll see if I've enough space to fit them on.

luisilva

I like the idea. But I will leave a default arrangement. If the user don't want that arrangement can cut a small bridge and solder a wire (or something else) between 2 holes, for example.

luisilva

Thanks woozle. I didn't know this.

Go Up