Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ISP pins, dedicated?  (Read 678 times)
Prototype Limited Edition owner! lol
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

Im was wondering if the ISP pins (miso, mosi etc), need to dedicated for ISP programming? Or can the pins be shared with peripherals? For ex. be connected to some LED's or select pins of a multiplexer. Because i really need all the pins i can get... And im using a 644 already smiley-razz
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:20:14 pm by Intosia » Logged

USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You can use them all you want. They are need for example for I2C and other things. They only get used as ISP pins when you connect an ISP programmer to them. The ISP programmer puts the processor in RESET and then does it thing.

Mark

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

You can use them all you want
Are you certain?

I have to remove a piezoelectric buzzer from MOSI or programming consistenly fails.  I imagine there are other devices that should not be connected / powered while programming.

Faraday Member
View Profile

They only get used as ISP pins when you connect an ISP programmer to them.
Wrong.  They're connected to MISO, MOSI, SCK, (also known as digital pins 11, 12, 13 on the Arduino) RESET, 5V, and GND.

It is possible to use them as long as you either a) never use ICSP, b) are very careful about what is connected so that it's compatible with dual use, or c) unplug everything on those lines before you use ICSP.

-j

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

They are multi-use pins (except for RESET.)  If you want to use them for BOTH ISP and some other use, you'll have to be somewhat careful about the "other use."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: