Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: First schematic / board, please validate?  (Read 1096 times)
nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Oh, and don't be afraid to rip up and start again.
Well said. I just binned a PCB design I'd spent a week on, often that's the best way to get a good job.

Same with software, a few years ago due to some slackness on the backup front I lost a project I'd been working on-an-off with for a month.

After tearing my hair out for a while I realised it was a golden opportunity to do it better as there were many things I wasn't real happy with but not to the point I could face doing it again voluntarily.  After a few days I was back to the level of functionality I had before the disk crash and had a better product.

The second time around you've already done most of the thinking, in both the above cases the redo took just a fraction of the time the original took, and the end result was much better.

______
Rob

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:18:52 pm by graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

The shield of the USB connector is connected to anything. I wouldn't mind seeing that connected to chassis.
I can't find a better reference than this at the moment but my understanding is that the shield should not be connected on devices:

USB cable shielding:

Shield should only be connected to Ground at the host. No device should connect Shield to Ground

--Philip;

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I think that's true (although I've heard arguments both ways), only connect the shield(s) in one place.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Somewhere in the Sonoran Desert
"This was not intended to be a factual statement."
View Profile

Grounding is more religion that science. I've seen it at least three ways--connected to ground at one end, both ends, or neither. You ask ten engineers how it should be done and you will get a dozen different answers.

From the USB specification 2.0:
6.8 USB Grounding
The shield must be terminated to the connector plug for completed assemblies. The shield and chassis are bonded together. The user selected grounding scheme for USB devices, and cables must be consistent with accepted industry practices and regulatory agency standards for safety and EMI/ESD/RFI.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

You might also want to consider an SMD mini-B connector - I find getting the legs aligned on the through-hole varieties a bit fiddly.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Can anyone recommend a good PCB and assembly house? Ideally send them a circuit design and parts list and receive complete board in return.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: