Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Quick Standalone Question(s)  (Read 627 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm wiring up an Arduino with 328 chip to control a single servo motor.

1. Can I use a Atmega 328 (without the P as in 328P) and just a plain old 328? Seems like I've seen things advertised as bootloader burned etc. I'm enough of a Newb to know just enough to get me into trouble.

2. Can I use a lesser Atmega chip programmed by the Duelamilanove Arduino board? The only thing the chip does is run a 10k byte file and with a single PWM output (servo motor).

thanks!

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

1. Can I use a Atmega 328 (without the P as in 328P) and just a plain old 328? Seems like I've seen things advertised as bootloader burned etc. I'm enough of a Newb to know just enough to get me into trouble.

I thought the 328 only came in a P version, however there are dip and smt packaging options. Either way, any 328 can be used with the Arduino IDE with the proper wiring/components for the serial interface or if using a compatible hardware programmer one can have the ARduino IDE load programs via the 6 pin ICSP connection without requiring a bootloader to be first burned into the chip.

2. Can I use a lesser Atmega chip programmed by the Duelamilanove Arduino board? The only thing the chip does is run a 10k byte file and with a single PWM output (servo motor).

The standard unmodified Arduino IDE supports boards based on the mega8, mega168, mega328, mega1280 and recently added the mega2560. Many 3rd party companies and users have made avalible modification files for the Arduino IDE to be able to support almost all the Atmel avr chips. If using the 28pin dip format of the standard Arduino boards you limited to the 8,168, and 328 chips

Lefty

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:50:08 am by retrolefty » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: