Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Another New PCB for Arduino Serial Single Sided  (Read 18287 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I found the problem, it was actually a short caused by an almost invisible strand of cooper left from edging, causing the serial to work in a loop.

Thanks.

UK
God Member
View Profile

Is there going to be any more development on the Arduino Single Sided range?

Would be nice to see one that uses a FTDI cable rather then Serial, that way fitting inside the footprint of a arduino shield scaffolding.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for giving us "Severino". If there is one thing that I would love to see in the next version is larger pads and standardized drill holes (1mm? or 1/16") ... I had a heck of a time looking for a .7/.8mm bits in my local stores in the Toronto area.

I think from a DIY'er perspective, I don't really care if the board is 10 or even 20% bigger. I'd take the ease of assembly gladly over the need to go shclepping for a 1/32" drill bit (that only worked for halfway through and broke on me.)

Believe it or not, the local hardware stores around here don't have such fine bits and the only ones I could find was just one in a set of 5 and I had to pay about 15 bucks for the set. 1/16" inch is a fairly common size and is available in most location. I'd love to see the design standardized around that. For me the "Severino" is not about being the same form factor as the original Arduino but about allowing people to make it at home without minimum of fuss.

Thanks again for all your wonderful contributions.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Would be nice to see one that uses a FTDI cable rather then Serial, that way fitting inside the footprint of a arduino shield scaffolding.
I think it still wouldn't fit in the standard form-factor.  The extra serial circuitry is not the only thing that makes the board "big" (the other major factor is making the traces big enough and far enough apart to be "friendly" to home construction techniques.)

1/16" inch is a fairly common size and is available in most location. I'd love to see the design standardized around that.
1/16 inch is HUGE (about 1.6mm; twice the size of the larger current holes.)  If the holes were that big, you'd have different problems (first, there wouldn't be room to have the hole, a copper ring, and a blank space between the 1/10 inch (2.54mm) pins.  (1.6mm hole, .5mm copper, .5mm gap = 2.6mm.  Oops.)  Second, you'd have troubles soldering component leads into such a large hole...)  1/32" drill bits aren't THAT rare; try a hobby shop instead of a hardware store...

Arduino rocks
View Profile

1/16 inch is HUGE (about 1.6mm; twice the size of the larger current holes.)

westfw: You are absolutely right, what I meant was 3/64" or 1/32" ... slip of the tongue there. I'll check out the hobby stores or the local Sayal to see if they got any. I also read somewhere that the bits should be carbide. I'm not sure if the one I used was carbide or not, but it was first time drilling a pcb for me so it could have been my inexperience that hastened its demise.

Having said that, I think I'm going to just get a few RBBB/serial arduino pcb's from a supplier and use those instead of making my own. It may not have the instant gratification factor but I think the boards would be much more reliable than I could ever make myself smiley

I don't think anyone even offers Severino PCB's ... Those would be nice to have,

that or I could jig up the serial circuitry on the breadboard'uino that I already put together  ... making pcb's might be the elegant solution,but after a weekend of futzing around with it, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'd rather take the quick and dirty (not to mention ugly) route

Salem, Oregon
Friends don't let friends use Strings
View Profile

I think I'm going to just get a few RBBB/serial arduino pcb's from a supplier and use those instead of making my own

If you've got Eagle files for your favorite Freeduino, check out the PCB group order from the local dorks at http://www.dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order

$5/square inch (no setup fees and you get 3 copies of each PCB), made in the USA and shipped within 7 days of the deadline.

This is a monthly event and the boards are really nice.

Brad.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

LEF Electronics Co.,Limited is PCB(printed circuit boards) manufacturer from China.
We can supply you product include high TG boards,thick copper boards,blind and buried vias boards,high frequency boards,HDI boards ,flex boards,flex-rigid boards.
Espcially for FR4 PCBs and Aluminum PCBs.We have passed UL and ISO 9001.
We are the leading manufacturer in the field and have grown to one of the major exporting companies in the region. We shall be glad to enter into business relations with you.
The majority of our clients come from good affection world of mouth. I can assure you our low price, good quality and timely delivery.Facts speak louder than words.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
View Profile

I don't think anyone even offers Severino PCB's ... Those would be nice to have
By the time you get something manufactured in bulk, there's not much advantage to having a single-sided design any more.  You can get double-side, solder-masked, silkscreened boards for about the same price at the usual quantities.  To get a significant cost advantage for single sided boards, you pretty much have to make a LOT of them.  (at least, this seems to be true for would-be kit manufacturers in the US.  There are occasional postings hinting that if you're in China or India or similar, the economics might be different.)

There are at least a couple of places selling double-sided Arduino Serial Bare Boards for about $5.  Real rs232 drivers, too...   http://www.nkcelectronics.com/freeduino-serial-v20-p20.html

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hello, I'm new with Arduino. but I have some experience with schemes and microcontrollers. I've made the v3 of the Single sided Arduino. But there is an odd problem. I think it's with C9. What's the problem - somethimes it uploads the sketches sometimes not. When i push or move a bit the C9 it starts again to upload. If the C9 is slightly moved, stops uploading. I changed the C9 6 times! Tried with other capacity - 2,2uF and 22uF, the same. Only in the scheme i don't have the L1 and put a piece of wire instead of it. What could be the problem? I resoldered everything nearby the C9. Nothing helps...

Canada
ElectroShocker
View Profile

I downloaded and made the S3 V.3 R2 board on my CNC Router. I have the board mostly populated and I'm ready to mount the Atmega168 but I do not know where to download the hex file. I have a AVRISP mkII to program the chip.
Can someone point me to the download site for the hex file. Please and Thank You.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
View Profile

Can someone point me to the download site for the hex file.
It's included in the download of the Arduino environment, in the ...hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex file.
(There is also "optiboot" in there, which is significantly smaller, but the makefile/install for that isn't quite right for the 168...)

Canada
ElectroShocker
View Profile

Thank you for the help. I downloaded the required files and found the ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex file.
I'm working with an AVRISP mkII, as well I made my own little PCB just to program my m48 and m168 chips.
I loaded the hex file with the programming tool that comes with AVRStudio but of course I get a "size too big" error.
I will try the Arduino programming tool next.

Thanks for the help.

Canada
ElectroShocker
View Profile

I kept getting this error when trying to program the bootloader.
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"
I searched and found the fix was to install libusb-win32 filter driver for the Jungo AVR Studio driver. I have been able to get avrdude to program a bootloader onto the m168 but I'm not sure if I picked the correct bootloader. I have the Serial version not the USB version, so which bootloader should I pick.
I picker the
Arduino NG or older w/ATmega168
as the board I have. Is this correct?

Thanks

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
View Profile

I'm not sure if I picked the correct bootloader. I have the Serial version not the USB
The AVR chip sees only serial (the USB to serial conversion is done in a separate chip on USB arduinos), so the bootload is serial based and remains the same for serial and usb based arduinos...

Canada
ElectroShocker
View Profile

What I meant was my board dos not have a USB connector on it. Is the "Ardiuno NG or older w/Atmega168" bootloader the correct bootloader for this board?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Jump to: