Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Another New PCB for Arduino Serial Single Sided  (Read 19102 times)
Brazil
..., to learn, to know, to make, to share, to l...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

KuzGun,

I received your e-mail, but my answer returned because your mail adress is invalid (the @digitech.com.tr)

I hope that one of the adresses I've found is yours. (@MSN or @Orkut)

The correct bootloader makes the onboard led L blink fast (less than half second), stop for almost 9 seconds, then blink again...

Do you have the jumpers (auto reset - J4, and Serial On - J0) installed correctly on the board?

The different timming to reset (in case you don't use the auto reset feature) is the opposite:
First click the upload button.
After this, press the reset button on the board, with different delays.

Did you set your WinXP correct COM Port Speed to 19200?

Alternatively, you can upload sketches directly to the chip without the bootloader:
Open the preferences.txt file in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Arduino\preferences.txt;
Change the line uploading.using=[glow]bootloader[/glow] to
upload.using=[glow]parallel[/glow] (if you are using parallel port programmer);
Open Arduino IDE 0011;
Connect the board with Parallel Port Cable (not serial);
Upload sketch.
(reset button is not necessary).

PCB Designer

Arduino rocks
View Profile

KuzGun,

I received your e-mail, but my answer returned because your mail adress is invalid (the @digitech.com.tr) [glow]sometimes it reject smiley-sad[/glow]

I hope that one of the adresses I've found is yours. (@MSN or @Orkut) [glow]mutlu_toker@msn.com is my adress[/glow]

The correct bootloader makes the onboard led L blink fast (less than half second), stop for almost 9 seconds, then blink again...[glow] i am not very familiar with this AVR thingies i am using AVRdude its write the bootloader and verify and says its ok smiley[/glow]

Do you have the jumpers (auto reset - J4, and Serial On - J0) installed correctly on the board?[glow] Yes i am installed and using them.[/glow]

The different timming to reset (in case you don't use the auto reset feature) is the opposite:
First click the upload button.
After this, press the reset button on the board, with different delays.

Did you set your WinXP correct COM Port Speed to 19200?[glow] Yes in my case Com2 is my port and i changed the baudrate to 19200[/glow]

Alternatively, you can upload sketches directly to the chip without the bootloader:
Open the preferences.txt file in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Arduino\preferences.txt;
Change the line uploading.using=[glow]bootloader[/glow] to
upload.using=[glow]parallel[/glow] (if you are using parallel port programmer);
Open Arduino IDE 0011;
Connect the board with Parallel Port Cable (not serial);
Upload sketch.[glow] i will try it.[/glow]
(reset button is not necessary).

Thanks for your helps.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I think fixed the bootloader issue now when reset button is pressed L13 flashes 3 times very fast and flashes every 8-9 seconds. Is this ok for bootloader. But sketches issue is the same.

Brazil
View Profile

Good.
It seems that your bootloader is fine now.

You said the TX led is always lit? And only RX led blinks when uploading?
Does TX led turn off when you remove the Jumper JP0?

Check the mount/solder of these components, and the wires (solder bridges, or short circuit) near them:
Atmega8 (pins 1, 2, 3);
Transistor T2;
Diode D3;
LED1
Capacitor C9;
Resistors R2, R5, R8, R9;
Serial Connector (pins 2, 3, 4);
Jumper JP0.

It is possible that you made a mistake on etching the board, mounting or soldering components.

PCB Designer

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Nope i dont mean that. TX led is lit continuosly when uploading, and rx led is little blinking but sketches dont upload the board. Same programmer error.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:37:52 pm by kuzgun_38 » Logged

Brazil
View Profile

So, did you check the hardware? Is everything fine? Any mistake?

Did you set the correct board on IDE (tools/board/Arduino NG or older w/ Atmega8?

Did you try uploading without the bootloader?

Sorry for answering with questions.

PCB Designer

Arduino rocks
View Profile

In hardware everything is OK no shortcuts no missing connections.
I choose the old board w/atmega8.
And also parallel programmer is working but when send sketches via parallel programmer sketches dont upload again. [glow]Fixed : Via Parallel Sketches is Uploading smiley[/glow]
Btw i etch a second board its working too but i cant upload any sketches to it also .

Thanks for your helps.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:27:48 pm by kuzgun_38 » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi!

I really like this single sided version. However I have two complains:
1. Multiple recommended drill bit diameters

I often make pcb board by hand.
I drill everything by 1mm and 2 mm drill. The reason is rather simple,
for 1dollar I can buy 20 drill bit. (for comparison: one 0.8mm drill bit costs 3.6$)

2.  External power source required

Why this board does not contain an usb-serial converter?
The biggest advantage is the board does not require an external power
supply because the usb board can sink it.
So you can develop in a train with a laptop!
With your design its always required a wall-wart. So it is not mobile anymore:(

I think I could solder an FTDI smd chip onto the board...

Thank you for your hard work!

Brazil
View Profile

Khiraly,

thanks for your comments. smiley

1. The number of different drill diameters have one reason: to make pads smaller as possible, and consequently the board smaller as possible. But you can change the drills, trying to use only 0.8 and 1.0. If you often make pcb's, I think your skill is high, so you won't destroy the pads with a bigger drill.

2. This project (Arduino Severino) was made with the intention to make possible that people who cannot buy an Arduino, or those who desire to make its own Arduino by hand, to make one with the lower possible cost; and it consider that this people have no skill on making pcb's. It substitutes the older serial single sided, that was hard to etch, solder, mount, and was not compatible with shields.
That's why it doesn't have an USB converter onboard. It's the simplest Arduino, but now fully compatible. The "third world" Arduino solution for everyone or "Give a hard job to a lazy person and he will find an easy way to do it"
 ;D
Even though the USB need an external power supply, if the circuits draw too much current. But if you want mobility, you can use a 9v. battery instead of wall-wart.

And if you don't have a serial connector in your computer, you can use a converter cable with the Severino, buy an USB/Diecimila Arduino, or in your case (considering you like to make yourself the boards) to buy a kit to mount, that comes with the FTDI already soldered, or to etch and solder yourself the USB/Diecimila versions (it's a challenge, but I think it's possible).

P.S.: There is another brazillian guy that is testing a USB shield to use with the Severino. It's a solution for you too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:34:16 pm by adilson » Logged

PCB Designer

Arduino rocks
View Profile

And if you don't have a serial connector in your computer, you can use a converter cable with the Severino, buy an USB/Diecimila Arduino, or in your case (considering you like to make yourself the boards) to buy a kit to mount, that comes with the FTDI already soldered, or to etch and solder yourself the USB/Diecimila versions (it's a challenge, but I think it's possible).

P.S.: There is another brazillian guy that is testing a USB shield to use with the Severino. It's a solution for you too.

I had never luck with double-sided pcb board.
If it is single-sided I dont think the size really matter that much (bigger pads)

You could mount an USB socket for power supply, if you are opposed to onboard usb-serial converter.

Could you provide a link please?

Best regards,
 Khiraly

Brazil
View Profile

You could mount an USB socket for power supply, if you are opposed to onboard usb-serial converter.

You didn't understand.
I'm not opposed to onboard USB-Serial converter. If you want one, you can do it.

I just did the project of the New Arduino Serial Board. Serial.
A New Serial because the Older Serial version was not easy to make.
And Serial because it's easier than USB to make at home for non professional people.

The USB versions have many developers and official versions that works fine, and many other clones. And are harder to make on a single sided board.

You could mount an USB socket for power supply
The eagle files and all docs are available for developers who wants to do this.

Could you provide a link please?
Well, there is no link. The guy just wrote me, and told me what is he trying to do.

PCB Designer

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I need to share something. You know about my serial problem, i am stuck at this but; when uploading sketches via parallel i am using some serial transfer sketches like serial RGB etc in this case serial is working normally i can send the data via serial and get the data via serial. But when i use serial for uploading sketches it didn't work. It isn't strange ?

Thanks.

Brazil
View Profile

This is good. We know now that the serial circuitry is working.

I'm thinking about one thing:
Do you know that when you upload a sketch, throw serial cable, with an Atmega with the bootloader, the program will delay almost 10 seconds to start?

Are you waiting 10 seconds after ended to upload sketch to be sure the program is not starting?

Another thing:
Is it possible that the sketch was sucessfully uploaded, but it didn't start running because of "the pull up/down resistor on rx pin" problem?
You can test this changing the jumper J0 to rx to gnd position, after uploading the sketch.

PCB Designer

Brazil
View Profile

You can see pics of new hand made Arduinos from Taiwan and South Korea in flickr album:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adilson_akashi/sets/72157604097691380/

PCB Designer

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi,

I'm new to Arduino, and I plan to build a Severino (Thanks Adilson!) I have one question, can we I go away with the 100uH L1 Inductor? From were I am (Cebu, Philippines) I can't find the part in any of the local electronics parts store here.

Instead have it wired just like in the original Arduino reference schematic while keeping the rest of the S3V3_R2 intact?

Okay that was two questions. :-)

Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Jump to: