Go Down

Topic: Overclocking an Arduino Duemilanove (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

iRagDoll

Dec 14, 2010, 01:38 pm Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010, 01:38 pm by tabchas Reason: 1
Hey guys. Wanted to see if anyone has tried to overclock their Arduino Duemilanove with the atmega328 chip on-board. I dont know too much about overclocking, but I have seen a couple of watercooling videos.

My questions that I have are:

What speed does the Arduino Duemilanove run normally?
Do you have to watercool it? Can you use a very small heatsink?
What does it really mean to overclock it? What are you really doing?
Is the overclocking done in software? Or is it just a matter to switch out the crystal?
Which crystal to you buy to replace the one currently on-board?
How do you remove the current crystal on-board?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

newman

What speed does the Arduino Duemilanove run normally?

16 megahertz
Do you have to watercool it? Can you use a very small heatsink?

arduino uses atmega 328 which it very tuny mcu when compared to the ones on pc no you need not provide it with any heatsink
Is the overclocking done in software? Or is it just a matter to switch out the crystal?

well just switch the crystal and then burn the appropriate bootloader

how do you removethe current crystal on-board?

DeSolder it

WELCOME :)

newman

Ooops forgot this IMPORTANT ONE !
Which crystal to you buy to replace the one currently on-board?

20 megahertz  One

retrolefty

Dec 14, 2010, 06:28 pm Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010, 06:29 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1
But 20Mhz wouldn't be considered 'overclocking' as that is normal rated max speed of the chip. There have been postings in the past where real overclocking was performed. Again it's quite a hassle if you wish to still use the Arduino IDE and bootloader process, with not much to really gain. What speed problem is your application having at the standard 16Mhz? Normally programming algorithm choice has as big or bigger effect then the clock speed of the chip.

Lefty

Go Up