Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: [noob-ask] burning bootloader using LPT programmer  (Read 5334 times)
London
Tesla Member
Have fun!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

when I plug it in, without power to the board, one of the led lights dimly. This makes me wonder.
Does anyone know if this is normal?

FWIW, I think it is normal. I also get a dimly lit power LED on mine with the cable connected to the PC and no power in the arduino.

View Profile

I also have hooked up my new atmega168 chip on to my diecimila and then connected that to the parallel programming cable that I built based on the build you own instructions: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer

After trying various things to get it to work I have failed.  When attempting to burn the bootloader from the arduino 0011 program from tools> burn bootloader> w/ parallel programmer I get the following:
Code:
avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06
 ***failed;  
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x00 != 0x07
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Any ideas?

Denver
God Member
Inactive - PM
View Profile

FWIW, I think it is normal. I also get a dimly lit power LED on mine with the cable connected to the PC and no power in the arduino.

Well, that made me feel more confident about my cable - even though I had metered it out twice before from the DB25 pins to the ATMega pins and it was OK.

So I tried it again on chip that needed a bootloader (at least) - using the IDE. I got . . .
 ***failed;  
         0x00 != 0x07

So I figured maybe I was working with an unloadable chip. So I tried my last good spare. I got the same error or similar, and bricked that good chip.  :'( No L Led at power up, and

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

when I try to load.

BTW I ran status_giveio.bat and it reported "ok".  I previously loaded the polling patch and my LPT port is ECP on an XP PC. (I noticed "Try not to use an interrupt is set for the port - matters?)

I don't know what to do next - buy a "real" programmer and hope I can recover 3 bricked chips, or fold smiley-wink.

Any help or advice appreciated.

"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

eindhoven, nl
try and try and try and try
View Profile

I also have hooked up my new atmega168 chip on to my diecimila and then connected that to the parallel programming cable that I built based on the build you own instructions: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer

After trying various things to get it to work I have failed.  When attempting to burn the bootloader from the arduino 0011 program from tools> burn bootloader> w/ parallel programmer I get the following:
Code:
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
 ***failed;  
         0x00 != 0x07

Any ideas?

we got the same problem then...

have u tried using the arduino 010?

eindhoven, nl
View Profile

Well, that made me feel more confident about my cable - even though I had metered it out twice before from the DB25 pins to the ATMega pins and it was OK.

So I tried it again on chip that needed a bootloader (at least) - using the IDE. I got . . .
 ***failed;  
         0x00 != 0x07

So I figured maybe I was working with an unloadable chip. So I tried my last good spare. I got the same error or similar, and bricked that good chip.  :'( No L Led at power up, and

when I try to load.

BTW I ran status_giveio.bat and it reported "ok".  I previously loaded the polling patch and my LPT port is ECP on an XP PC. (I noticed "Try not to use an interrupt is set for the port - matters?)

I don't know what to do next - buy a "real" programmer and hope I can recover 3 bricked chips, or fold smiley-wink.

Any help or advice appreciated.
i think you get this error

when you are not reseting the arduino before uploading

Denver
God Member
Inactive - PM
View Profile

kodokz,

Re: using 0010:
I just tried it on 0010 with 3 different chips. For each I get -
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.
for each.
(It looks a shortened version of what I get 0011).

Yes, when I try to upload a sketch I get the same message you get when not resetting.
)If you mean pushing the reset button) However I'm using a Diecimila with USB.

I gather the -F option is risky.
Anyone have anything I could try?

"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

eindhoven, nl
View Profile

@ Hogan ...
did u change the parallel port preferences?
today im gonna change the preferences on my parallel port. i hope i can get something.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:42:02 am by kodockz » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I got exactly the same problem as you.  smiley-sad
Please let us know if you find a way to work it out...

Denver
God Member
Inactive - PM
View Profile

smiley I was able to get the parallel cable to work.
I tried changing the settings on my parallel port and found they would not "stick". I wanted to change it to "Never use an interrupt" from "Try not to use an interrupt"

So I tried the cable on a different PC and voila! - 0011 IDE quickly loaded the bootloader without errors. I tried 2 other chips and received this error:
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x3800
         0x0c != 0xff

But I noticed the "L" led was blinking so I tried loading a sketch and it loaded on both.

I looked at the port settings on the PC that worked and found that "Never use an interrupt" was set.

So that might be the key. At least  trying the cable on a different machine is worth a shot.

BTW I first ran ..\arduino-0011\hardware\tools\avr\bin\install_giveio.bat" and checked with status_giveio.bat. (I put a a "pause" at the end of each so I could see the results by just clicking on them.)

Also, I doubt if that machine had the polling patch installed.

That's all I know. I hope this helps you too.

Now about setting the BOD fuses . . . .

~ Clifford Stoll

eindhoven, nl
View Profile

nice work man...

i've installed the giveio given from the tutorials months ago. But, i dont know anything 'bout status_giveio.bat . im gonna check it out later.

didnt get the chance to change the preferences like i planned. Gonna try it today.

im gonna let u guys know the result.

smiley I was able to get the parallel cable to work.
I tried changing the settings on my parallel port and found they would not "stick". I wanted to change it to "Never use an interrupt" from "Try not to use an interrupt"

So I tried the cable on a different PC and voila! - 0011 IDE quickly loaded the bootloader without errors. I tried 2 other chips and received this error:
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x3800
         0x0c != 0xff

But I noticed the "L" led was blinking so I tried loading a sketch and it loaded on both.

I looked at the port settings on the PC that worked and found that "Never use an interrupt" was set.

So that might be the key. At least  trying the cable on a different machine is worth a shot.

BTW I first ran ..\arduino-0011\hardware\tools\avr\bin\install_giveio.bat" and checked with status_giveio.bat. (I put a a "pause" at the end of each so I could see the results by just clicking on them.)

Also, I doubt if that machine had the polling patch installed.

That's all I know. I hope this helps you too.

Now about setting the BOD fuses . . . .

Amsterdam
he's looking at you, kiddy...
View Profile

i'm just on a xp machine to burn the bootloader and have the same errors as you all have. BroHogan mentions that changing a setting on the parallel port could help us.
how do you do that. where should i look.

i'm a windows newbie and i'm on xp sp2. i've installed GiveIO and i think it's running.

--
"We're all in this together..."

Denver
God Member
Inactive - PM
View Profile

Control Panel | System | Hardware (tab) | Device Manager (button) | Ports (Comm & LPT) | ECP Printer Port | Port Settings (tab) | set "Never Use an Interrupt".
Save and reopen to make sure it's still set.

I hope it works for you.

~ Clifford Stoll

eindhoven, nl
View Profile

@brohogan ...

still no luck, i've changed the port settings as u said.

still i got the same errorss........ damn im frustrated at the moment...

did u connect anything else on ur Atmega aside of the parallel programmer?  
i just checked my friend's computer that i used weeks ago, he had 'never use interrupts as well' and still i got errors..
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 04:06:27 am by kodockz » Logged

Amsterdam
View Profile

settings changed via the .reg script from here:http://www.melabs.com/downloads/XP_stop_polling.reg as mentioned here: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader i think that would give the same results as with your guide.

alas, no progress. still looking at the buch of red lines in the ide. i have'nt changed the preferences yet to upload using the paralel port. i will try that next time. ive waisted my last working arduino chip while making the arduino as programmer hack mentioned here: http://tinker.it/now/2007/02/19/make-an-arduino-ng-into-an-avr-isp-programmer-for-good/ but that should go into an different post. First priority is to get a working arduino with the parallel methode so i can continue developing for the exhibition i'm working for...

now i ask myself. is the voltage specified for the parallel port on the pc, or is it just as variable as with the rs232 ports? I'm on a compaq deskpro ind i saw a few options in the bios. i'm clueless as what to take:

-printer mode:
  -bi-directional
  -EPP+ECP
  -output only

and there is a IRQ 7 setting. should that matter? (remember, i'm a pc newbie...)

--

Amsterdam
View Profile

and again.

i was reading a post on avrfreaks about the pppd the printerport programming dongle which uses a 74hc244 as a buffer. looking at the schematic, i uses completely different pins on the parallel port that the simple 3 resistor version on the arduino site???

how does the software know which pins to use?

or aims (am i missing something)

--

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: