Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My El Cheapo Persistence of vision on perfboard-$2  (Read 1203 times)
Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I got up today thinking that I should grade final papers. Good thing I didn't. I spent my day putting together the cheapest persistence of vision I've seen (didn't see many examples though).

The POV circuit is on a perfboard with 8 LED and a 595 shift registor, a cheap light sensor from dipmicro (http://dipmicro.com/store/RPT-311PTA49)
They don't even have a spec sheet. From what I found out by trial and error, it is sensitive to infrared as well as visible light. So I painted it black ;D

I used the cheap IR LED (http://dipmicro.com/store/SIR-311STA49)

The perfboard is a buck a couple (http://dipmicro.com/store/PCB-UNI7H)

I can safely say I spent less than $2 for this project. I was thinking about making a PCB but couldn't bare the long wait.

Here is the only picture I got so far. Camera ran out of battery and is on charge.

You may wonder what motor I used and why didn't I count that in my cost, well, I didn't use a motor. You will have to guess what I used. Hint: I started off the project and ended up sitting on a different chair  ;D ;D ;D
Have to wait till tomorrow to charge up the camera and share setup pics.

Code is on my blog post:
http://liudr.wordpress.com/2010/12/16/cheapest-persistence-of-vision-display-with-arduino-2/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:20:23 pm by liuzengqiang » Logged

Hyderabad , India
God Member
can't help not to think arduinaizing something !
View Profile

@lidur getting started tommorow any advice ?

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Get some brighter LEDs. Mine are not as bright as I wanted them to be. I went cheap and tried to use up my dim LEDs although I have bags of brighter ones  :-[

I'd try the circuit on a breadboard, you don't have to hook all LEDs just a few will show you if your connections are correct.

Try all LEDs. If one is not working and you soldered it on a perf board, then you will have some grief to do.

My rotation stage is pretty powerful but if you use a fan or something, make sure you have counter weight on the opposite to keep the thing from rattling around.

Secure everything as much as you can.

Good luck!

Hyderabad , India
God Member
View Profile

Thanks well and this even the first time im gonna work with shift registers ( hope everything goes well ) so that i dont have to annoy you people with stupid questions  smiley-wink  and is there a way we can do this without shift registers ? ( so that i can try it out instantiniously ) or have to visit the electronics shop tommorow in the morning

[edit]
OOps never noticed its morning aldready time is 00:42 here in india  smiley[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:03:14 pm by newman » Logged

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Thanks well and this even the first time im fonna work with shoft registers ( hope evferything goes well ) so that i dont have to annoy you people with stupid questions
Don't you have a spell checker?

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Yes you can do it without a shift register. By the way, could you turn on spell check?

You need to watch out that arduino pins can only provide 20mA each and 200mA all together. If you use a shift register, that number is larger so you can has any number of LEDs and expend to more if needed, just have a more powerful voltage supply. With shift registers, you can always use the same code and any number of LEDs only cost you a total of 3 digital pins. I would get a few shift registers even if I don't use now they're very useful.

Hyderabad , India
God Member
View Profile

Don't you have a spell checker?
NO smiley-sad

Hyderabad , India
God Member
View Profile

i'd work out now without a shift register for now ( get one later in the morning )
i guess its all about switching the right light at the right time is it ?  :-?

Hyderabad , India
God Member
View Profile

i looked at your code and didnt get how you were able to do it !  smiley-sad  
how is it all done?  for now all i have done is solder 8 led's and secured everything  smiley lloking forward to finish it  smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: