Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 10 Amp motor speed and direction regulation  (Read 1551 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, i want to control my RC car with arduino, so I need to control motor's speed and direction. Because motor draws about 10 Amps, I cannot use H-Bridge. Is there any easy way to do this?

View Profile

H-bridges made of discrete components can handle a lot of current.

Your RC car should have an H-bridge in it already.  Cannibalize that.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

H-bridges at that current level are available, just a little pricey and possible larger then will fit in your car. If you don't need reverse for the car then speed control can be simple and inexpensive using a logic level mosfet transistor of suitable voltage and current rating and driving it with a arduino pwm output pin. It's not known to us how your car presently controls it's motor speed and if it could be modified for Arduino control or not.

Lefty
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:33:03 pm by retrolefty » Logged

View Profile

Even if you do need reverse, its just three more FETs to get an H-bridge.  10-20A FETs can be found for 0.50-1.00$

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

10A+ DPDT relays will reverse direction (occasionally and not quickly; probably fine for fwd/reverse.)  It's probably a toss-up whether that would work out cheaper than a "real" H-bridge...

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

10A+ DPDT relays will reverse direction (occasionally and not quickly; probably fine for fwd/reverse.)  It's probably a toss-up whether that would work out cheaper than a "real" H-bridge...

You could control forward and reverse that way, but without adding an extra relay, you couldn't control on/off! So, it would be better to use a couple of SPDT relays instead of a single DPDT...

You wouldn't have PWM control, but you might be able to put on the low side a power FET or transistor, and PWM that, and switch direction with the relays; the whole thing could probably be done under $15.00 USD...

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I have completed that using tamyia TEU-101BK controller, which is just 4 MOSFETs and it even supports PWM. It is a little bit expensive (30$), but I have it from RC car I am hacking, so why not?

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

I have completed that using tamyia TEU-101BK controller, which is just 4 MOSFETs and it even supports PWM. It is a little bit expensive (30$), but I have it from RC car I am hacking, so why not?

Well, ok - but why did you post here to begin with if you are just using the controller it came with (as mspguy noted)?

:-?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:43:30 pm by keeper63@cox.net » Logged

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

I meant that a DPDT relay would add "reverse" to a conventional single-direction speed controller...

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

I meant that a DPDT relay would add "reverse" to a conventional single-direction speed controller...

Ah - gotcha...

smiley-wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: