Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino parts website  (Read 2529 times)
Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I read the original post yesterday and thought, well, I'm still kind of new here (only a lesser god), I'd wait to listen/read what greater gods say about this. How did this get so bad so quickly? Now it's about an academic title, the PhD, or aka permanent health damage? I see lots of people call themselves Doc this Prof that. They're not necessarily granted doctorial degrees or appointed by a university as faculty but they like the titles as the titles represent accomplishment and knowledge. If I'm good at doing electronics and such, I'd like to be known as Dr. Transistor or Prof. Negative-feedback. Am I on the right side of the street with this title thing?

Now for real titles that people earned, I'd say it's ok to mention, as long as the title holders don't single themselves out as elites by default (the title) or be cocky like "I'm the Doc, I can't possibly be wrong".

I'm not telling what title I have from now on :-X
My head hurts everyday though  smiley-wink

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I take it this is yours rather than your son's... Doesn't have much on it.

amcnano.com
Created on 18th/19th November 2010
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:12:46 am by mowcius » Logged

Land of Fruits & Nuts
For every PhD, there's an equal and opposite PhD.
View Profile

I'd like to jump in here and state that the text in my profile should not be construed to imply that I have the title of 'Dr.'

Now, I'd like to quickly jump out.   smiley-wink

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Hahaha smiley-grin

Maitland, Australia
View Profile

I wrote this on my blog today.
I'm a big fan of the Arduino Forum. Before falling in love with Arduino I had not been part of such a lively, intelligent and, frankly, very well behaved online community.
... after reading this thread I'm a not so sure anymore.

If amcduino has been shamelessly pimpin' his wares as PaulS has suggested then maybe what he got was justified. But on first read he was mercilessly and shamefully treated.

Can I ask ye mighty Gods: is this "normal?" Is this the Arduino Forum way to deal with people?

prawnhead (no title)

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who are good at maths, and those who aren't.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Is this the Arduino Forum way to deal with people?
Seven people constitutes the "Arduino Forum"?  You wouldn't be exaggerating a bit?

When you put a group of diverse strong personalities into one place, there are going to be conflicts.  There is no avoiding that fact.  

Your first instinct is correct.  This is a great forum.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

If amcduino has been shamelessly pimpin' his wares as PaulS has suggested then maybe what he got was justified. But on first read he was mercilessly and shamefully treated.
Perhaps you should look at all of his posts, then. His first post said that he was writing a book about Arduino, and asked the forum to write the pros and cons section of the book for him.

When it was suggested that he was the one who was going to profit from the book and should, therefore, be the one to do the research, he told those people to f**k off and leave him alone.

Well, I read Norman Vincent Peale's "How to Win Friends and Influence People", and I don't think I remember reading that sort of advice in there.

Then, he came back and wanted people to review some chapters, and again got all defensive when it was suggested that improvements could be made.

All newbies don't get treated that way. Just those that want other people to do their work for them, and to accept as perfect whatever they present as their own work, whether it is or not.

Any, by the way, he WAS shamelessly pimping his book.

Maryland,USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

To:PaulS

Was John Pardue also "pimping" his book when he announced it on this forum?
Your last email has established you as a perfect human being. [smiley=thumbdown.gif] [smiley=thumbdown.gif]
amcduino

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Would it still be called "pimping" if it were free? smiley

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

@amcduino
Your only "contributions" to this forum have been about your book or your son's web site. I don't see how you can claim to be anything other than a pimp.

Maryland,USA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

To:PaulS

Dear Sir

I don't know why you have decided to attack me with such a vengeance, using language fit only to a longshoreman. You do not know my accomplishments in life, and certainly I do not know yours, although your language reveals them.

I have received several private emails from other members who obviously do not think very highly of you, suggesting to me that I not let your emails get me down and to ignore them. So, I will do exactly that. I do not want to turn this forum into a pissing contest answering   your ugly emails. This is the last time I will waste in answering to you. Have a wonderful day, "God Member" [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Amcduino

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

@Amcduino:

I have received several private emails from other members who obviously do not think very highly of you, suggesting to me that I not let your emails get me down and to ignore them. So, I will do exactly that.
You call what you've posted "ignoring"?  You have a warped definition of the word.

I have two suggestions and a rhetorical question...

1. If you have dirty laundry to air with PaulS, DO IT IN PRIVATE.

2. Instead of TELLING us about your intention to "ignore them", DO IT.  PLEASE try to be a man of ACTION instead of a man of EMPTY WORDS.  IGNORE HIS POSTS ALREADY.

3. Would it kill you to help someone?  Answer a question once in a while?  Lend a new user a hand?  Do something beyond just promoting your own self interests?

I do not want to turn this forum into a pissing contest answering your ugly emails.
There you go, again.  Your actions directly contradict your words.  And here I go again: PLEASE try to be a man of ACTION.  IGNORE HIS POSTS ALREADY.

@PaulS:

PLEASE, do not call people names.  PLEASE, stop the baiting.  You believe that amcduino is "spamming".  I agree with you.  But it doesn't matter.  Because his book may be helpful to an Arduino user, he's given some slack.  We really have no choice but to accept that.  Take a few deep breaths and move on.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:52:39 pm by bcook » Logged

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Take a few deep breaths and move on.
Yes, sir.

For the record, though, I didn't call amcduino any names. I referred negatively to his actions.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: