Go Down

Topic: Introducing Phi-1 shield LCD/button/GPS/EEPROM/RTC (Read 10297 times) previous topic - next topic

Joatmon

Here are some pics - let me know if you want to see something specific.:

The code that I am using is the testing code from your website (Phi_1_testing_v1).  I also tried the Phi_1_test_clock_v1.

liudr

Dec 21, 2010, 05:33 am Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010, 05:34 am by liuzengqiang Reason: 1
Everything looks good on the picture. Now, if you can pull the LCD out, test the pins 7-14 to make sure they're all isolated from one another. The red jumper could use a little push down on the left side.

Then run this simple code: The buzzer should sound an alarm and the LED is flashing. The top LCD line will show black boxes. If you can't see them, adjust the contrast until you can see them.
Code: [Select]

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
#define buzzer 16
LiquidCrystal lcd(8, 9, 7, 6, 2, 4); //Phi-1 shield setting

void setup()
{
 lcd.begin(16, 2);
}

void loop()
{
 while(1)
 {
   tone(buzzer,770);
   digitalWrite(led,HIGH);
   delay(75);
   noTone(buzzer);
   digitalWrite(led,LOW);
   delay(75);
   tone(buzzer,770);
   digitalWrite(led,HIGH);
   delay(75);
   noTone(buzzer);
   digitalWrite(led,LOW);
   delay(75);
   delay(850);
 }
}

Let me know how it goes with these steps.

wortelsoft

I've soldered the shield together and it works on my seeeduino 328 but not on my mega. The sda/scl lines are on a different location so the real time clock doesn't work.

And I'm considering buying a 16x2 lcd as my 16x4 is to large it covers the buttons.

liudr

wortelsoft,

You're quick! I thought you just received it in the mail. I have one easy way to make it work for mega: (I wish I had a mega before I made the design)

First set the analog pins 4 and 5 to input with pull-up resistors so they won't interfere with the communication. Then jump pins 4 and 5 with the female header on the shield, to the I2C pins on mega: so analog 4 to digital 20, analog 5 to digital 21. This should work then.

Yeah, I'd say the 16*4 is too big. I thought about designing the buttons on the right side but then I don't have space for RJ11 or buzzer.  :)

As I was typing this reply, I almost suggested snipping off the male pins on analog 4 and 5 as a one-way trip. Then I realized it could be done within software and a couple of jumpers ;D

Please let me know if this works OK.

wortelsoft

Dec 23, 2010, 08:30 am Last Edit: Dec 23, 2010, 08:33 am by wortelsoft Reason: 1
Another solution would be to cut the trace between the male and female headers for the sda/scl lines. That way the two pins are still usable for other things.

Maybe in a next version you could ad a solder jumper with header pins. Mega users can than cut he trace and use header pins or just a wire a to connect it.

I had most parts needed for the shield laying around so only some soldering was needed. The lcd isn't a big thing as these 16x4 are rare anyway, but I could get hold of them very cheap. Maybe I just have the display on some flatcable.

liudr

Thanks wortelsoft. I will add either these solder jumpers you suggest or jumpers of other sorts (maybe dip switches if space allows). Have you tried to just set the analog 4 and 5 to input and jump the mega pins 20 and 21? Did it work if you tried?

Since I don't have a mega yet, could you also post a picture of the shield on top of the mega?

wortelsoft

I will try your solution and post a picture. But it wont be until after the weekend.

liudr

Thanks wortelsoft! Have a nice holiday weekend!

wortelsoft

Here are some pictures of the shield sitting on a Roboduino mega (Arduino mega reference design copy).
All parts clear the mega nicely

liudr

Thank you Wortelsoft! The pictures are nice reference. It looks like you could use some female headers on the analog pins. I've just tested that all functions of the shield seem to work together nicely, the LCD, GPS, buttons, EEPROM etc. I finished my interactive GPS logger yesterday. Here's a link:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1293609431

Strange thing is if somebody made a GPS reader out of a cardboard box, everyone is replying with compliments. But my neat-looking fully-functional logger gets no reply yet.  :-?

I'm kind of jealous. I should stuff everything in a crappy box and re-post.  ;D

wortelsoft

Yes I saw your post about the logger very nicely done. The female headers were left out intentionally so I can either solder some wires to it or maybe in the future add a female header.

liudr

Here is a side view, just to see how packed the shield is.

florinc

liudr, I am wondering, does the GPS work (that is, it will provide correct data) when mounted under the LCD board?

liudr

Florinc,

Yes it does, even under the LCD, and in my first-floor apartment. I also tested it out in my car but back then I didn't program the logger functions so my wife took a video camera and recorded it. I will take it for a trip later today in my car and share some data.

wortelsoft

Jan 03, 2011, 08:41 pm Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011, 08:42 pm by wortelsoft Reason: 1
I just soldered a female header to the analog pins and added the following code to sketch.

Code: [Select]
 pinMode(58,INPUT);
 digitalWrite(58,HIGH);
 pinMode(59,INPUT);
 digitalWrite(59,HIGH);

With jumper wires from the mega SDA/SCL pings to analog 4 and 5 I can confirm the shield works on the mega.

Go Up