Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Shield pin usage list  (Read 20994 times)
nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Is there such a thing as a list of pins used by available shields from all manufacturers?

For example the DFRobot Arduino shield manual details quite well what pins are used by their shields, but that's just one manufacturer. If there was a nice big list in tabular form a designer of a new shield could pick some pins that either aren't used at all (unlikely) or aren't used by other shields that are likely to be used with the new design.

It's a big ask but you never know.

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Something like this...
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/ShieldPinUsage

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Exactly like that, but more comprehensive as there must be 100s of 3rd party shields out and about.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

It's the only one I know about.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

OK thanks, maybe there's a project for a bright young lad, if only I knew one.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

http://www.duinoaday.co.uk/shields.html
The pin usages are not all defined as you will see but that is the best list of shields.

Some shields are still on my list to add too.

If anyone wants to find out what all the pins are on all the shields then I will happily add it on/create a table for it.

The problem is that often, that info is not stated, they just work. If you want to know what pins they use, you have to work it out.

Mowcius

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Thanks for that list Mowcius.

I've tabulated that, looked at a stack of schematics, and generally faffed around to come up with this.

http://www.robgray.com/temp/Arduino-shield-pins-used.xls

If you don't trust an XLS file here's a screen shot

http://www.robgray.com/temp/Arduino-shield-pins-used.png

Coding badly: I've done the ones from the Arduino site as well, although most were also on Mowcius' list.

Many still have ? in their row, sometimes this is because there doesn't appear to be a public schematic, with others it's because I had to download a ZIP and haven't got around to extracting the schematic yet.

I've had enough for the moment, gone cross-eyed looking at this lot. But if it's worthwhile I can verify more over time, or maybe others can chip in or the owners of these boards can tell us exactly what pins they use.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:39:50 am by graynomad » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I've tabulated that, looked at a stack of schematics, and generally faffed around to come up with this.

www.robgray.com/temp/Arduino-shield-pins-used.xls

If you don't trust an XLS file here's a screen shot

www.robgray.com/temp/Arduino-shield-pins-used.png
Well I can trust it when I'm not on my computer  ;D
I have saved that, looks very nice, just need a way to get that as a nice looking table on a website now. If I get the time, i might see what I can come up with.

But if it's worthwhile I can verify more over time, or maybe others can chip in or the owners of these boards can tell us exactly what pins they use.
Well if we can get some kind of permenant web-based version (not google docs...) then it will definitely be useful to a lot of people.

Mowcius

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Thanks Mowcius,

A lot of schematics just have signals coming from small 1, 2 or 4-way headers with no real indication of where the signal comes from. You would have to check out the PCB to see where the header is physically located.

Also many schematics show all the Arduino signal names on a header but don't actually use them so you have to trawl the schematic looking to see if the signal was used or not.

Still it's a start, treat it with a grain of salt for the moment, but if you can figure out how to present it on a web page when we're happy that it's pretty right it would be a useful resource I think.

When/if you get around to it, may I suggest a "verified" column that indicates that the info is almost certainly right.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:10:26 am by graynomad » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

When/if you get around to it, may I suggest a "verified" column that indicates that the info is almost certainly right.
Sounds like a good plan.  smiley

Melbourne, Australia
Cyborg-in-progress
View Profile

GrayNomad, that's a great idea. I really like the idea of making it an online resource, and since that's the sort of thing I do in my day job (my actual job is CTO of a web app development company: www.ivt.com.au) I'd love to have a go at it.

Mowcius, do you mind if I have a go at setting up an online shield database or have you already started work on it?
--
Jon

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Mowcius, do you mind if I have a go at setting up an online shield database or have you already started work on it?

Go right ahead. I have been too busy with my current electronics project to do any web based stuff (and my websites need it  smiley-sad).

If you do sort one then I would love to whack it up on my website:
http://www.duinoaday.co.uk/shields.html

Mowcius

Melbourne, Australia
Cyborg-in-progress
View Profile

I've made a little bit of progress on this. I now have the database structure in place with a few shields inserted for testing, and I've created a basic public UI that lets you browse through a list of brands, then through a list of shields for each brand, then see the details of each shield including a description, a link to the manufacturer's site, an image of the shield, the pin assignments, and notes. There's no visual style applied at all so far, just black text on a plain white page.

While it's still under early development I have it showing nothing publicly unless it's accessed by my IP address, but ultimately it will live here:

http://shieldlist.org

The system already accepts arguments of brand and board in the URL, so for example to view a list of all shields manufactured by Gravitech I can do this:

http://shieldlist.org/gravitech

Or to see details of a specific shield I can do this:

http://shieldlist.org/gravitech/7seg

Right now you won't be able to see anything at those URLs since it only works for me until I remove the IP restriction.

Next up I'll suck in the data compiled by GrayNomad so there's a good base dataset to work from, then try to neaten up the display a bit with some CSS applied to it.

Following on from that I'll add the ability to search by various criteria (such as pins used), compare shields, and submit new shields for inclusion. If anyone has ideas about other features they'd like to see please speak up.

I'm hoping to make it publicly visible this weekend, even if it's just in a crude form.
--
Jon
Freetronics: www.freetronics.com

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Following on from that I'll add the ability to search by various criteria (such as pins used), compare shields, and submit new shields for inclusion. If anyone has ideas about other features they'd like to see please speak up.

I'm hoping to make it publicly visible this weekend, even if it's just in a crude form.
Sounds good.

Mowcius

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Good one Jon, can't wait to see the results.

BTW, here's a shield just mentioned on another thread

http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=140_142&products_id=706

I won't add it to the table because you've probably already grabbed it.

Rob

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Jump to: