Go Down

Topic: LCD shield and/or LCD serial backpack (Read 34 times) previous topic - next topic

Cheater

Presumably you will be using the RW line rather than delays to determine when the LCD is ready to accept data.

Yep. Its got a dedicated chip so there is no need to cut corners with the pins. :)

Also I just realised that I can make the backlight brightness variable.

VenPixel

Presumably you will be using the RW line rather than delays to determine when the LCD is ready to accept data.

Yep. Its got a dedicated chip so there is no need to cut corners with the pins. :)

Also I just realised that I can make the backlight brightness variable.

Not sure if you have taken a look at Peter Anderson's K107 backpack. Should at least provide a good reference for designing your own backpack..
Ven Pixel
-----------
Wandering Samurai
"Since light travels faster than sound, p

Cheater

If you do want to put the Arduino bootloader on it, you should probably do a lot of testing to make sure it doesn't cause any problems.

Sorry I missed your post.

If they are using it with a Arduino then it wouldnt matter at all because they would have to wait anyway.
Ladyada has a hack which starts the program if anything other than 00 is sent to the bootloader so that would also work.
I might put a SMD jumper on to enable/disable it. Just solder over it to enable.

The K107 looks good but it has a awful number of limitations.
I can steal some ideas from its software though. :)

Cheater

Ok I've finished fiddling with it. Here is the design so far:

I ditched the ICSP connector to save space.
Since I'm breaking out SPI anyway, it'll be simple to make a adaptor.
The labels need to be moved around a bit as well.

It should be breadboard compatible and you'd be able to use a DIP-16 socket if you wanted.
You can also solder it directly to a LCD or even put a socket on it so its removable.

Any feedback?

Also what kind of transistor should I use?
It controls the backlight so it needs to handle about 200mA.

mem

Looking good!

More a passing thought then a suggestion, but I was wondering if you would gain real estate and lower cost replacing the contrast pot with a  transistor and capacitor  driven from a spare onboard pwm pin.  Providing the arduino with software commands to increase and decrease contrast may be more convenient then getting at the pot.

Go Up