cyberteque

for a kernel it's

Code: [Select]
make bzlilo modules modules_install

You should be doing "make deb-pkg".

maybe in new versions, but this is potato, still using lilo rather than grub

I get that you can change a running kernel but I've never tried

SirNickity

As a Gentoo user, I've always compiled my own kernels.  You have to know a lot about your hardware to make it work, and be on top of the constant changes.  It can be enormously frustrating to start building a desktop system, then get stuck in a text-mode shell for two days while you figure out what the !%$* the X guys have done to break compatibility with the way you used to build your in-kernel video drivers.

Well, in general, video drivers are about the worst thing about Linux.  You have to have something that's popular but not too new.  And there are often very serious bugs.  I recently went through some frustration converting a work computer to Linux.  It had an ATI professional (4xDVI) card that crashed X randomly and didn't work well even when it was stable -- turns out the revision I had wasn't very well supported.  I installed an nVidia card I had lying around, but that wouldn't work with multiple monitors (I only needed two).  Finally ended up swapping computers with one that had on-board Intel graphics, since they've been somewhat open with the OSS driver crowd.  I still get random glitches and OpenGL doesn't work, but it's usable.  However, KDE 4.10 seems to have gone yet another step backwards, and now screen boundaries aren't respected, so maximizing a window stretches over both screens.  I read some KDE forum posts where the developers defended the changes saying "it should never have been an option in that control panel -- window management doesn't belong at this layer."  URGH.  ><

Still love Linux though.  Wouldn't trade it for Win 8 and a free bag of quarters.

Paul__B

As a Gentoo user, I've always compiled my own kernels.

I do remember some years ago, recompiling the kernel - the OS.  Quite successfully and relatively easily.

Cannot now remember why, but I just sat there as it all scrolled past thinking - "This sure isn't Windows!"

{Perhaps the understatement of all time.}

Grumpy_Mike

As a Gentoo user, I've always compiled my own kernels.

I used to make my own capacitors by filing down coins for the silver content, then melting it onto sheets of mica.
I hope you find a better way soon.

SirNickity

Nope.  ;-)  I like the fact that if I don't know what I'm doing, it doesn't work.  While it can be a frustrating process (e.g. the previous rant...), I do feel like I know more about Linux than I would if I used, e.g., Ubuntu, and things tended to go smoothly the first time through.  (Nothing wrong with that, and in general, it's a better way.  My goals are just different than a typical user.)

FWIW, Gentoo does have "genkernel" to examine your hardware and build a suitable kernel for you.  I used it once when I truly couldn't be bothered to spend the 15 minutes to go through menuconfig.  Now, if I find myself in a situation where I just want the thing to work, I'll use a LiveCD or another distro.

dannable

I used to make my own capacitors by filing down coins for the silver content

You've giving your age away there Mike!  XD
Beginners guide to using the Seeedstudio SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield

Go Up