Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Welcome, MadBob  (Read 2214 times)
UK
Tesla Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi @MadBob,

It looks like you are the answer to our past prayers (and curses).

It's really great to have someone from the admin team regularly participating here.

I certainly don't expect you to be able to fix every complaint or suggestion instantly, but just knowing that someone with influence in/over (?) the development team is aware of the feelings of the forum contributors will be very helpful.

In the past it has felt like we were talking to ourselves and the debelopment team just didn't care what we thought or what corrections or improvements we suggested.

So, again, Welcome.

...R

Forum Administrator
View Profile

It's really great to have someone from the admin team regularly participating here.

"Regularly" is not the exact definition. It happened I had some little spare time to spend replying some pending post, but cannot grant any continous presence.

In the past it has felt like we were talking to ourselves and the debelopment team just didn't care what we thought or what corrections or improvements we suggested.

It is absolutely not true "the development team do not care". Indeed, the dev team is too small and has to keep working a million users web platform as *.arduino.cc (which involve not only the Forum but also Arduino Store and other components).

BOFH

UK
Tesla Member
View Profile

Thank you for replying @MadBob.

I think that "regularly" will be the evidence that "the development team do          care"

...R

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

Thank you for replying @MadBob.

I think that "regularly" will be the evidence that "the development team do          care"

...R
I second that.
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

In defense of the Arduino crew, I think "now and then" is better than "never". At least things get changed eventually.

UK
Tesla Member
View Profile

In defense of the Arduino crew, I think "now and then" is better than "never". At least things get changed eventually.

Hmmm ...

"Now and then" would not suggest to me that that the crew properly recognizes the value of the Forum contributors to the overall success of the Arduino product.

You wouldn't feed your child or send her/him to school  "now and then" !
Tesco doesn't stock milk "now and then" !

...R

God Member
View Profile

I don't know how Arduino is organised, but we probably ought to distinguish between the "development team" and "development management" who presumably set their priorities between the website, shop, forum, etc.

Hackscribble.  Writing about making things.
arduino@hackscribble.com | www.hackscribble.com

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

Hmmm ...

"Now and then" would not suggest to me that that the crew properly recognizes the value of the Forum contributors to the overall success of the Arduino product.

You wouldn't feed your child or send her/him to school  "now and then" !
Tesco doesn't stock milk "now and then" !

...R
How often do you feel this should be done? I have submitted several suggestions for changes, and all are now complete. It doesn't happen overnight, but the last delay was not caused by MadBob, but the developers at Github.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=240403.0

edit: OK, all are not complete. The WiFi shield firmware is still a mess, but once again, not MadBob's fault. The developers have taken no action to correct the bugs.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:32:09 am by SurferTim » Logged

UK
Tesla Member
View Profile

How often do you feel this should be done?

Very simple.

I check this section of the Forum every day (with very few exceptions).

I expect someone from the Arduino "system" to do the same - after all it is their business, I just do it for fun.
(and not just "check the forum" but be seen to be doing so)

...R

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

I expect someone of arduino core team to a active contributor the sections "Website and Forum" and "Suggestions for the Arduino Project"
Another option is to simply remove these sections.

It would be great if the moderators had a "ask arduino core team to intervene" functionality available.

Best regards
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

The Netherlands
Edison Member
View Profile

after all it is their business, I just do it for fun.

There you go again.
You seem to be mistaking this site and forum for some big company instead of a group of enthusiasts who have chosen to cover their expenses by offering products through a webshop and other (commercial) channels.
You also seem to expect some team of professionals to full time guard the forum and all other parts of this site.
I've seen some remarks of users that seem to have such expectations.
To be able to do so, Arduino would be twice the price it is already, if not worse.

Keep in mind that this Arduino stuff is about hobbyists, from and for hobbyists.
Someone who expects professional support, should choose a professional platform, with professional consequences.

Having said that, there's lots of things that can (and/or should be) improved.
Anybody pointing that out is absolutely right.
At least some feedback on requests and remarks would be nice.

Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

UK
Tesla Member
View Profile

I was not using the word "business" to mean a commercial activity in the sense that Microsoft or Oracle is commercial. There are plenty of examples of not-for-profit and charitable "businesses".

For the people who "invented" and manage the project Arduino is their "business" if they want to continue to promote it.

I occasionaly contribute to the JRuby forum and I can reliably expect someone from the dozen or so core developers to read what I write and there are NO commercial JRuby products on the market.

I don't think there is anything unreasonable in my expectations of the Arduino team.

...R

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: