Go Down

Topic: How to use AD6 & AD7 in "Arduino Mini" (Read 2036 times) previous topic - next topic

fallen

Hi ! "ATmega8/168 AI" have two more AD pin(AD6 & AD7) , Arduino use "ATmega8 PI" , so only have 6 AD pin(0-5) .

Now I see "Arduino Mini" use "ATmega168 AI" ,and have the AD6 & AD7 , I want to make sure that could I use " analogRead(6) ;" to use AD6 ?

thank you !

kuuk

Sep 16, 2006, 10:50 am Last Edit: Sep 16, 2006, 11:12 am by leKuk Reason: 1
it didn't work for me.
i have an arduino mini from ars electronica. with arduino005 only 5 analog inputs work (AD0 -AD4). can anyone confirm this?

is this a software or hardware thing?

//kuk

edit:
i was wrong. six inputs work. but AD6 und AD7 don't.

mellis

Yes, the software doesn't yet support the extra analog inputs.  But take a look at ARDUINO/lib/targets/arduino/wiring.c and pins_arduino.c, you might be able to add the support easily.  

fallen

Hi! I know M168 have 5 PWM(D/A) , and I don't know how to add the other 2 PWM in :
Code: [Select]
int analog_out_pin_to_timer_array[NUM_DIGITAL_PINS] = {
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
     // on the ATmega168, digital pin 3 has pwm
#if defined(__AVR_ATmega168__)
     TIMER2B,
#else
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
#endif
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
     TIMER1A,
     TIMER1B,
#if defined(__AVR_ATmega168__)
     TIMER2A,
#else
     TIMER2,
#endif
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
     NOT_ON_TIMER,
};

If Arduino 06 can add these new AD and DA to soft , it will be better!

fallen

kuuk

Yes, the software doesn't yet support the extra analog inputs.  But take a look at ARDUINO/lib/targets/arduino/wiring.c and pins_arduino.c, you might be able to add the support easily.  

i must admit, i already had one look to see if could find something. didn't think it would be too easy. but i promise to try with a little more time in the next days.

fallen

kuk[ch65306]
I think mellis is right , AD6 and AD7 are the number of  "CH" , it is easy to add them ,and make them work  ;) . but I don't have "Arduino Mini" , so I can't test it , I will buy some M168 next week to make it sure.
the code:
int analogRead(int pin)
{
     unsigned int low, high, ch = pin;

// the low 4 bits of ADMUX select the ADC channel
     ADMUX = (ADMUX & (unsigned int) 0xf0) | (ch & (unsigned int) 0x0f);

// without a delay, we seem to read from the wrong channel
     delay(1);

// start the conversion
     sbi(ADCSRA, ADSC);

// ADSC is cleared when the conversion finishes
     while (bit_is_set(ADCSRA, ADSC));

// we have to read ADCL first; doing so locks both ADCL
     // and ADCH until ADCH is read.  reading ADCL second would
     // cause the results of each conversion to be discarded,
     // as ADCL and ADCH would be locked when it completed.
     low = ADCL;
     high = ADCH;

// combine the two bytes
     return (high << 8) | low;
}

kuuk

well,

i'm doing a little trial & error with no success so far.
do i understand it right that those files "wiring.c" and "pins_arduino.c" from the lib/targets/arduino folder are the EXACT files that are used when my program gets compiled?
do i have to restart the arduino IDE or are these files read each time when i start the compiling process?

so far, i tried my luck mostly in pins_arduino.c, as wiring.c seems to be written quite dynamical. but my programm seems unaffected. i can't even disable one of the existing analog ins :-/

@fallen
did you change someting in the code that you posted?

mellis

I'm pretty sure that wiring.c and pins_arduino.c get recompiled every time you compile/verify or upload your sketch, but I can't swear to it.  What did you try to disable an existing analog input?

fallen

kuk:
Yes , I change "ch = analogInPinToBit(pin) " to "ch = pin" , in "analogInPinToBit(pin)" , there are only return 0~5 , now you can use 0~7,  but I don't have "Arduino Mini" , so I can't test it , if it can't work , I so sorry about it.

kuuk

@fallen:
i see,

but don't i rather have to adapt the array in arduino_pins.c ?

pin_t analog_in_pin_to_port_array[NUM_ANALOG_IN_PINS] = {
     { PC, 0 },
     { PC, 1 },
     { PC, 2 },
     { PC, 3 },
     { PC, 4 },
     { PC, 5 },
};

i think this array maps the numbered pins to the right inputs on the atmega. i tried adding 2 lines
     { PC, 6 },
     { PC, 7 },
but that didn't work. (shouldn't it be ADC instead of PC anyway?) but even after i deleted some of the existing pairs, my program still worked with the six existing analog ins. i don't have my board here at the moment so i cannot work on it right now.

//kuk

kuuk

so shame on me,

i've always been editing the wrong files. i had downloaded arduino 005 twice, so it couldn't work.

ha, but now it does. you just need to edit "arduino_pins.c".

in line 53 change
#define NUM_ANALOG_IN_PINS 6 to
#define NUM_ANALOG_IN_PINS 8

then in

pin_t analog_in_pin_to_port_array[NUM_ANALOG_IN_PINS] = {
     { PC, 0 },
     { PC, 1 },
     { PC, 2 },
     { PC, 3 },
     { PC, 4 },
     { PC, 5 },
     { PC, 6 },
     { PC, 7 },
};

add the last two lines as shown here.

everything works fine for my needs. i don't need exact analog values though, so those two extra ins might still be a little different from the others.

thank you mellis and fallen for encouraging me to try this :-D

best, kuk

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy