Go Down

Topic: another "Programmer is not responding" error (Read 2014 times) previous topic - next topic

brainfart

Since it worked at least once it's probably a timing issue.

I had similar (although not nearly as severe) problems occasionally when using a slow, old computer (400MHz with WinXP).

This is how it works for me almost every time:
1) verify/compile
2) click upload button
3) reset arduino board after a second or two

On this old, overloaded computer the IDE obviously needs a little time to do its work, and if you reset the arduino board first it won't work. The above procedure works almost every time for me.

no, it's actually on the plastic bag that it came in, on a wood desk. I got the board pre-assembled from sparkfun. When I first got it, it worked just fine. Then it started do this. I haven't even had the board a week yet.

mellis

Have you tried pressing the reset button after the upload button (with different pauses between)?

yes many times. I just tried again and got this weird message:

Binary sketch size: 4300 bytes (of a 7168 byte maximum)

Atmel AVR ATmega8 is found.
Uploading: flash
Firmware Version: 1.18
Programmer is not responding.

just trued again and got:

Atmel AVR ATmega8 is found.
[VP 1] Device is not responding correctly.

Or again and got a different firmware??

Firmware Version: 64.137
Programmer is not responding.

mellis

Sounds like a bad connection between the board and the computer.  Is this an Arduino NG?  It's possible that something came loose on the board in shipping - sometimes working, sometimes not.  Maybe you can get it replaced?

One thing you can try to get a bit more information is changing upload.verbose from false to true in your Arduino preferences file (http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Preferences).  It will dump every byte of data going between the computer and the board.  But a flaky connection is a flaky connection, so I'm not sure it will help to know exactly which byte is wrong.

Digger450

no, it's actually on the plastic bag that it came in, on a wood desk. I got the board pre-assembled from sparkfun. When I first got it, it worked just fine. Then it started do this. I haven't even had the board a week yet.

That is a static dissipative bag, meaning it conducts electricity and should not be under the board.

I've got the Arduino NG. Nothing looks loose, nothing moves when I try to wiggle it. I did get it working again, but it's back to doing the same thing again.

I'm gonna look into getting a replacement.

Go Up