Go Down

Topic: PWM Sample Rate = 490Hz not 30769 Hz ??? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hey,

I was trying to get some basic oscillators going on the PWM outputs.

If i do a analogWrite(speakerOut, 128); i get a squarewave @ 490 Hz...

So it seems that the PWM Sample Rate is at 490Hz instead of the 30769 Hz the reference mentioned.

Is there a way to change the PWM Sample rate?

Is there a way to access the PWM clock so i sync my OSC the samplerate of the PWM generator?

I was thinking kinda like:

loop{
   CalcNextSample;l
   WaitForPWMClockWrap;
   WriteSample;
}

GreetZ,

-Martijn-

mellis

Whoops.  I forgot to update the reference when I changed the frequency.  Thanks for pointing that out; it's fixed now.  

You can change the frequency by playing with the timer registers.  Try searching for TCCR1B on the forum or the Arduino homepage.  I'm going to try add a function to do this sometime soon.

ThanX ;-)

That did help !!!

Meanwhile this is my piece of code so far now. It generates a parabolic sinoid wave. Still no clue how to sync to sample rate clock. But maybe i'm to slow to make it in time anyway...

So i tried to do a pot read(see //...) but it seems the analogRead blocks for 2.5 ms or so lowering the loop rate to +/-400hz... witch is totaly to slow for a Oscillator...

Do ya think it could work, or am i just trying something that i shouldnt?

CheerZ,

-M-

int potPin = 2;
int speakerOut = 9;

long c=0;
long i=519;
int  x=0;

void setup() {
 TCCR1A = 9;
 TCCR1B = 1;
}

void loop() {
//  i=analogRead(potPin)*32;
 c+=i;
 if(c>=65536)c-=65536;
 x=(c>>8)-128;
 x = (x*(128-(abs(x)))>>6)+128;
 analogWrite(speakerOut,x);
}

mellis

If you look at analogRead() in wiring.c in the lib/targets/arduino/ subdirectory of the Arduino directory, you'll see a delay(1).  You can try commenting it out, as it will probably be removed in the next version of Arduino.  That should speed things up.

ThanX,

now its much faster  ;)

Any hints on getting the oscillator asyngroniut on a PWM timer based interrupt?

GreetZ,

-Martijn-

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy