Go Down

Topic: 168 Bootloader Error (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

mellis

Are you on Windows?  You could try downloading WinAVR and using that to compile the bootloader.  Alternatively, you could just use a 16 MHz clock.  Or since, you have a hardware programer (at least, I assume you do, since you need one to get the bootloader onto the chip), you could just burn your code directly to the chip without using a bootloader.  See: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer

amsmnptarks

I'm a windows user but have an intel mac at my disposal (I just don't know how to use it very wll). I was hoping to use the bootloader so I could update the code quickly and easily. I think I was able to compile the new make file, but my new hex file has a very long name (ATmegaBOOT_168_CRUMB168_F20000000_050815.hex), and I'm not sure I trust it. I was only ever able to upload the bootloader using AVRdude on the mac, but I think I'll see if WinAVR can get it to work. Any suggestions on how to make that happen? I tried AVRstudio that came with my hardware programmer but wasn't able to get it to work either.

Daniel

Hi

On the Mac I use AVR Stdio, running under Parallels Build 3150. With the AVR ISP MKII programmer , it works like a charm.  You can get parallels free as a trial, so the only real outlay is the AVRISP, which runs about 35USD.  Pricey, but it works.

D

amsmnptarks

I've tried using AVR studio with my AVRISPmkII, but when I try to connect to my Atmega168 I get an error:
"ISP Mode Error" and it recomends I lower the ISP programming frequency specified on the board page. Well I've tried everyone of those and it still gives me the same error. I find that odd since all the LED's are green. I can't change any fuses or lock bits because it gives me that same error. What's going on here?

brainfart

I probably shouldn't be posting here since I obviously have no clue, I guess I'll do it anyway...

You mentioned:

> ATmegaBOOT_168_CRUMB168_F20000000_050815.hex

The Crumb168 is a microcontroller module similar to the Arduino Mini

http://www.chip45.com/index.pl?page=Crumb168&lang=en

Are you sure this bootloader will work with the Arduino? Do they both use the same bootloader?

Go Up