Go Down

Topic: Note about pin 13 and digital input (Read 355 times) previous topic - next topic

abend

May 07, 2007, 05:24 am Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:24 am by abend Reason: 1
Hi all,

I just spent two hours figuring out what was causing me trouble, and am posting here so that I can hopefully save someone else some time.

I'm trying to read a 9 bits (8 bit data byte, plus one "data good" signal) in parallel into my Arduino. I am using three digital inputs, (11, 12, and 13) and the analog inputs. My reason for using the analog inputs is to save the digital outputs to drive a pair of shift registers (4 pins each, 1 shared, so 9 total).

When reading the input byte, I noticed that I didn't always get the correct value. At first, I assumed an error in the algorithm that generates the number, but when that checked out, I started getting suspicious of the part that sends the 9 bits to the Arduino. I had it send values that would have a lot of the data bits set, such as 255 (11111111 in binary). It appeared that no matter what I sent, the second bit from the MSB was always 0. I checked which pin that was, and noticed that it was pin 13, the pin with the LED on it.

Looking at the schmatic, I noticed that the LED is between the pin and ground. At 5V, LEDs don't present a lot of resistance. I effectively had a 0 ohm pulldown resistor on the input, keeping it at ground no matter what signal I applied to it. Interestingly, on the NG Rev C boards, the LED is not installed. I have my suspicions that this is because it makes the pin hard to use as an input.

My plan now is to take the LED off so I can use the pin. I'll leave the SMD resistors next to it in place, so that I can still use an LED between 13 and ground for debugging.

Hope this saves someone's evening,
Abend

http://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino_NG_schematic.png

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy