Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: looking for an arduino like board with monitor hdmi / svga  (Read 551 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm wonder is there is a board that works like arduino accepting c++ as language.
And doesnt have an operatings system.. just only my code that will run.
has IO pins, and perhaps some usb (tx trx), but also able to connect to a normal sized monitor.

I know (and i have) small screens that are just an inch in size, but i'm looking for a normal monitor, to be able to show some graphics (loaded from SD card), and the be able to write some text to screen, (screen resolution at least 800x600)

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

There are various small form factor embedded PC such as Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black, which include graphics output (HDMI seems more popular than VGA, but I suspect you'll find either if you look hard enough).

Do you specifically need to NOT use an OS? I suppose you can write your own bootloader and program to the hardware from scratch if you really wanted to, but it seems like a huge waste of effort. Why not just run your application within the OS if your platform has one?

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Shelby Township, Disco, Michigan
God Member
View Profile

Just use your computer. Get Visual C or whatever.

Faraday Member
View Profile

It seems like we are always missing a piece of the puzzle.....

Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,
DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Lincoln, England
View Profile

You could wait for the new Arduino Tre,
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardTre
That has  HDMI.
...but also has an operating system.

Faraday Member
View Profile

(screen resolution at least 800x600)   

I don't think that is an HDMI format .

Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,
DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

You can program the raspberry Pi without an operating system, it is known as "Bare Metal"

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile

It seems like we are always missing a piece of the puzzle.....

Isn't that just so!

UK
Tesla Member
View Profile

How would you propose to program for HDMI or SVGA output without an operating system? Those systems are very complex and I suspect using them without an OS is for all practical purposes impossible.

Use a PC or a RaspberryPi or BeagleBone to do the big stuff and connect up to an Arduino to to do the small stuff.

...R

View Profile

I'm really looking for something that doesn't have an operating system.
And for the graphics, i would like to use basic images.
Perhaps i would write something to display text, as characters.

But i just don't want an operation system, sure they have there pro's.. .
Dough operating systems, tend to require updates, tend to require IO threads for their own..
And often you need to be on the edge of operating systems skills to tune them so they wont interfere.
Although Linux and Microsoft android etc etc, are all fun
But I need reliability and don't want to depend on an operating system.
I had 2 projects in the past one on linux the other on win7.. i dont want step in their traps again.
I just only want pure c++, nothing else.

Also i like the cheaper price of micro-controllers above PCees that's a second reason, but not as important as the first.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:20:16 pm by PGT » Logged

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

I don't share any of your views about operating systems. There's no reason why an operating system should cause you any problems. If you are determined not to use one, you would end up needing to write substantial parts of the functionality for yourself, and in particular the device drivers. If you have ever needed to do this then you will really appreciate having an OS available which hides all that complexity from you. That being said, if your output requirements are *very* simple perhaps an Arduino with a Video Experimenter shield would be sufficient.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile

I'm really looking for something that doesn't have an operating system.

Well then, you clearly had better take Grumpy_Mike's advice, get a Raspberry Pi.

It has the HDMI interface, enough grunt to drive it, and it comes without an operating system.  You load your own software on the SD card.  Fulfils all your requirements.   smiley-lol

View Profile

A Rasberi Pi runs linux its not what i want.

And i've written device drivers before so no worry thats no problem for me.
If its just conrolling a device over usb, thats fine to me, disk handling routines allready exist.

In general operating systems are not a problem from me, i've done mass installations hundreds of PCees before.
I know a lot about them i'm an MCSE, A developer in 7 computer languages, and the one who manages (and designed) several networks. So i'm not a newbie to computers. I also keep running some linux boxes etc.

But that all made me realize that for simple automation with a simple screen, they require to much of continuous management, or some extreme configuration. Dough i am not after such complexity, i just want a machine process to run, without all the overhead; of configuring a system to be safe and reliable while having to much hardware overhead, and to much configuration.. i'd like to simply have my processes running . and i dont like to care about a pc anymore.
Hence if you like to operate 200PCees sooner or later you need an IT staf; i dont want that.

For one thing i know a PLC can do what i want, but they are not at an interesting price range, for the things i do.
Neither do i need their 1000% robustness endurancy, precission etc etc etc (as i dont operate a nuclear plant).

No i like to find a micro controller with video output for this.

SF Bay Area
Edison Member
Arduino Ninja
View Profile

*Sigh*.

Guys. PGT asked for some way of sending output to a monitor without using an operating system. It's counterproductive to imply that PGT is stupid for wanting this, when solutions exist:

Gameduino: http://www.jameco.com/1/1/4818-gameduino-game-adapter-shield-compat-spi-vga-12bit-stereo-out.html
MicroVGA: http://microvga.com/
Arcade Shield: http://soldercore.com/products/arcade-shield/

I'm sure there are others.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:26:14 pm by macegr » Logged

Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile

A Rasberi Pi runs Linux its not what I want.

A Raspberry Pi does not run Linux unless you insert a SD card with Linux.  There is absolutely no compulsion to do this.  Write your own code, load it on a SD card, and plug it in.

No I like to find a micro controller with video output for this.

Then that is what the Raspberry Pi is!  Albeit an ARM more than a "simple" microcontroller.

Credible, but is an add-on to an Arduino, the combination is more expensive and less capable than a Pi.

Text only - the OP specified graphics.

Graphics resolution 320x240

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: