Go Down

Topic: looking for an arduino like board with monitor hdmi / svga (Read 652 times) previous topic - next topic

PGT

Well i am listening and i do consider  your viewpoinst here, there is no reason to shout with big headlines.
I need at least 800x600 resolution, so sadly the gameduino wouldnt do it and neither the others.
Thats realy sad because if it would have... it would be a perfect fit, together with an Arduino mega well i would jump to the roof.

The other option dont insert linux in an rasberi-pi, that would one require to write an operating system for it.
I'm in doubt if I could call it a microcontroller, as i think its more close to a miniPC. I'm not aware of projects where people skipped any of the eleven operating systems available for it, and made their own c++ core for it, to make it more Arduino like. I like micro controller programming on the arduino because its simplicity, a few drivers would be fine, but re-inventing them all.
Sure linux started as cores too, and in the end its all just assembler; but put simply it would require lots of time to do such a project, while i also have a job todo, so yes your right its an answer, but not a solution for me.

The closest i got now with my search is a https://www.adafruit.com/products/1590 but its 800x480 (WGA) dough...hmmm I got to think this over. Maybe i'll contact them or some other vendors just in case they are working on it.

PGT

Hmm galileo.. isnt that too linux combined with arduino ?.. a dual pc/arduino board..  I will look into it.

Meanwhile i found also someone who programmed an FPGA to do even higher resolution, with an original target to be an extension board for micro controllers..but his project seams in silence since 2012 ..
Found this video of his project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wpw8u6kqO8
So some hope here
Some people create hardware that's able to do it..but not seen any commercial buyable thing so far..
On the other its possible, then Chinese labs can make / sell it too  :)) joking i'm to long into robotics hehehe

Paul__B

Once you start talking about video/ graphics, what you want is more of a "mini-PC" than a microcontroller.

I have no particular affection for the Pi, I bought one basically to use as a Net server - haven't got it in such operation yet but well, we all have projects like that, don't we (and lots of them)?  Clearly there are other boards with similar capacity, including bitwise I/O ports and I have a couple of them in similar condition of not-yet-use.  The hybrid boards such as the Due and the Galileo of course contain a "mini-PC" with (generally) a video interface together with a microcontroller, that is how they do what they do.

And there is the point - microcontrollers are deliberately oriented to bit transfer rather than byte, so they do not exhibit busses.  This is the distinction between microcontroller and minicomputer.  Video/ graphics on the other hand is necessarily byte-oriented and you generally do want a bit of speed, so sending such data over I2C links is singularly tedious and inefficient; you really want to be using a bus architecture.

Novelties such as using a FPGA - well, nice party trick but ...

macegr

I knew that the options I posted were close...and there are others too (PICASO for example) that get close but don't meet every single specification you posted. The reason I went ahead and linked them is because when you're in the specification stage of your project and haven't built anything yet, you need to have some flexibility and make some tradeoffs. You don't want to use a Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone (unavailable), pcDuino, Arduino Tre (unavailable)....then accept lower resolution and use an Arduino shield. Or if it's absolutely mandatory that you must have 800x600, get rid of the Arduino and figure out how to make something else work.
Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

PGT

Thanks people,

Thanks for also pointing me out to other boards, and you people where right its good to know the field, as well sometimes you can change your projects bounderies a bit and do with other hardware that comes close; in my case i couldnt dough those where set fixed.

I know the difference between a micro controller a pc and FPGA boards,
Sure micro controllers are 'slower' but when using an fpga, then that board does do the video handling.
And as long as you dont do games or fractals or heavy stuff then you can get away with a microcontroller.
In short then from there your micro tells the FPGA board what to load and display.
I need to display static images dependent on user machine input, and do some action; the combination is perfect for this.
I am into talks with someone who might build a custom FPGA board dedicated for my project.

I might keep an eye out in case someone else also makes another arduino SVGA - FPGA board; and if i find one i'll update this forum so people also on the lookout for this get updated. For the custom board we're still in talks if we will also gonna sell it in general or keep it under a license for my project only / those legal things are bit complex, when you have to deal with investors.

PeterH

I might keep an eye out in case someone else also makes another arduino SVGA - FPGA board; and if i find one i'll update this forum so people also on the lookout for this get updated. For the custom board we're still in talks if we will also gonna sell it in general or keep it under a license for my project only / those legal things are bit complex, when you have to deal with investors.

If you implement it as an FPGA then you may be able to dispense with the Arduino entirely.

I'm sure you know about the other people working on Arduino FPGA shields, and there's even a 'Papilio Duo' Kickstarter project in flight to create a single board Arduino+FPGA clone. If you fancy generating the SVGA output using an FPGA, and don't mind waiting until the end of the year, that would be an option.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Grumpy_Mike

The other option dont insert linux in an rasberi-pi, that would one require to write an operating system for it.

No!
That is the whole point of Bare Metal
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=72

PGT

Well FPGA, are completely different beasts as compared to micro-controllers who understand c++
C++ is a high language as compared to the inner language used by an FPGA which is more close to a parallel base function assembler. Where a micro-controller uses more like a single thread c++, an  FPGA uses something more close to massive parallel bit operations FPGA's are in theory extreme powerfully in practice dough their power is limited to several "easy" massive parallel tasks. It's not that hard for an FPGA to provice HDMI signal based on a RAM block, or to convert a CCD to a Ram block, even do some video signal processing XOR, AND, or to do some base codec like stuff. On the other hand the more complex things in c++, like a programming workflow with object orientated data types, that is quite complex for converting to an FPGA. So although as seen by some as futuristic hardware (MS plans to put bing on FPGA's) for small team developers its usually not an option to convert their c++ logic to an FPGA. To some level (like a CCD) it does do exclent raw IO, but dealing user input strings, some mid functions, doing some comparisons, performing a lookup to a RSS feed etc.. its (currently) a nightmare to program on a FPGA. I wont say its impossible but its not do-able.. its the same for barebone  rasberry PI, oh sure fun if your a student with lots time, its not an option if your working and try to find the shortest cheapest road to a solution, coding costs time, costs money. (no not going to repeat again the design goals, ppl just read the threat)

When looking back a decade, people used extra co-processors besides their i386 to do accelerated floating point math used in autocad. And now most gamers and 3D artists require GPU's to do fast visual math. Also although yet experimental science is wondering about quantum based processors. While others go back to a FPGA processors. There are several roads to get to the same point. And its just time, and metaphors new technical  'call signs' or old idas... till we find some ultimate hardware that can run everything :)
I wouldn't be surprised if Amtel, already had created chips as used under the AMD flag, with SVGA output, (i didnt investigate it yet, maybe i will). Beyond the known Arduino processors they created lots more processors with quite unique abilities.

As for now i'd  like close the thread
I will not update/reply or are going to argue about beaglebones/rasberi pi fans ..
I'm now into fpga + arduino development, project starts next week. My intend never was to upset some people who are fan of other hardware, sure its great i believe you. On the other hand i also like to thank all of you, its not about opinions, but its about sharing insights about hardware, and people can draw their own conclusions, and since we are people we often have different conclusion and tend to disagree.. that's quite normal. Hey it wouldn't be fun if we where all on the same line. But i honestly like to thank you all for providing me your insights, your technical views, your info, really thanks ... its a mindset that keeps evolving for all of us. To all interested in this are i'd like to say keep an eye open. And maybe drop a post here if you find some new exotic hardware. Because there is quite a big market for it...

Go Up