I have two Arduino Boards, one a Sparkfun bought Arduino NG (USB) and the other one of Paul Badger's BB_Arduino boards. On the BB_A I have a demo sketch up and running using the new libraries I adapted from SoftwareSerial, transmit only with added routines to specifically drive a Serial LCD run by an Anderson chip.
On the BB_A I set it up "both ways", that is the whole shebang (Arduino and serial LCD) powered from the FTDI USB cable and also the whole thing powered from extenally supplied +5 volts ... it all works just fine.
Then I got an email (see bottom of this message) from one of my K107 (the serial controller LCD board I designed and sell) That he can get my demo program running just fine on his Sparkfun Arduino NG under USB power but not EXTernal power.
I also have an Arduino NG from Sparkfun .... here is what I did and what I observed
(1) Power jumper set to USB, the serial LCD display board connected to #8 and GND on the top row and +5 on the lower row. USB cable plugged in, no external power plugged in - loaded program for the first time, works fine
(2) Changed power jumper to EXT, plugged in 9 volts external power, left USB plugged in, hit reset, after bootloader timeout, program came back up and it works.
(3) Then removed USB while it is running, it continued to work
(4) Hit reset, program does NOT come back up ...
(5) Remove power connector and replace (cold restart) ... program does not come back up.
I then loaded the BlinkingLED program and repeated the process with identical results ...
What am I missing here? Is there a bug or what are we doing wrong? Thanks
cheers ... 73 de brian riley, n1bq , underhill center, vermont
<http://web.mac.com/brianbr/> Tech Blog
Home of the
K107 Serial LCD Controller Kit FT817 Power Conditioner Kit
Tab Robot Laser Tag Kit MSP430 Chips and Connectors
Propeller Robot Controller SX48 "Tech Board" Kit
PICAXE chips, boards and accessories
From: Brian Riley [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 2:27 PM
To: Vu, Joe
Subject: Re: Bug in Arduino Software Serial Library
What Arduino board do you have?
On Jul 16, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Vu, Joe wrote:
I have a Sparkfun Arduino NG. Do you know if there is a bug in the hardware ? Your prog runs ok on USB power, but not with ext
Tried on two units.
Did you ever see this ?