Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Specify COM port?  (Read 582 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Arduino and trying to figure out if there is a way to specify which COM port the board is on. Long story short, I am helping with a project which will have about 12-15 arduino boards hooked up to seperate computers and they will be controlled via the internet. I need to be able to know for sure which COM port each board is on, and as it is now the COM port is randomly selected when plugged into the computer.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Rachael

www.myspace.com/rachaelstarr
www.rachaelstarr.com

Daniel

hi

mellis will know the answer for the Arduino end... for the computer end, what software are you using? It occurs to me that in Max/MSP you could auto-populate a pull-down menu or something similar, and then just write to each port by number. Once set up it usually populates in the same order, if I remember correctly.    

D

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

FTDI has a Windows driver that allows you to assign a fixed COM port to an Arduino board.  You can find it (with a few instructions), here: http://onescaleone.com/dojocorp/ftp/arduino/FTDI-COM-FIX_Windows/.  I haven't used it myself, but I'm pretty sure Gianluca has had luck with it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: