Go Down

Topic: L297 stepper motor controller (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic

owd

Mar 05, 2006, 09:43 am Last Edit: Mar 05, 2006, 11:00 pm by owd Reason: 1
Thanks Jonathan.
Massimo point out that application note in this post too. But after read that little paragraph and look its illustration I can't take anything. It looks like a marvelous egyptian hieroglyphic.
For example: before all the points on this post about bipolars (additions and diferences from the datasheet), is valid the rest of the circuit [L297+L298] with the described  ULN2075B? Does It need corrections? But if I want chopping (I want chopping)... what can I do? How can I do it with the ULN28003 (for two axis driver)?

It's very hard and frustrating... After my first toast-session (one unlucky SN74LS158N) I take it carefully.

Yes, just readed your other post I wrote to the ST and they ask me to local dealers. I mailed one local dealer past week but I'm still waiting for a response :'(.

Nach.

mellis

owd: I love your 3d diagram of the Arduino board.  Did you make it?  Can you post a copy of the original files so we can use it to make more diagrams?

owd

Mellis, now you can say "I met Gollum": No! No! It's mineee! My ownnn! My preciousss!
Obviously it's a bad joke: I'll send you (next time, I don't have the files here).

Nach.

Daniel

Mar 13, 2006, 06:03 am Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006, 06:16 am by Daniel Reason: 1
hey all:

I was just rummaging through some boxes and found one of my L297/298 stepper motor drivers. It's about ten years old, and still works like a charm. In fact, I regularly throw it across the room when teaching electronics classes, to demonstrate how simple designs can also be reliable and rugged.

Here's a (terrible) pic taken with my laptop camera, showing the driver unit with the cover removed:

The case is  Hammond 1590B diecast aluminum. In the pic you can see the L298 screwed to the case at the top for heatsinking, DB9 connectors at the bottom and left for input signals and motor connnections, and the motor protection diodes. There's also a  7805 in the middle to provide internal voltage regulation,  and two large power resistors for the L298 current sensing. There are also blobs of epoxy and hot glue on all the hardware, since a loose screw inside something once cost me thousands of dollars and a couple of plane flights to fix it. The whole unit is about one inch by two inches by four inches.

The schematic for this is exactly the same as the one on page 14 of the ST datasheet, with the addition of an LM7805 regulator for the power, a few caps and a reverse-polarity diode.

Jonathan, hope this will help with your UK version!

Daniel

Daniel

and one more fabulous laptop photo, showing it with the lid on, ready for throwing.

Go Up