Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Online data logger - Arduino requirements and quick start!  (Read 399 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi folks!

I had an idea to create wireless online data logger to collect and store electric energy consumption data in SQL server, so later I can easily monitor and compare them and also to create a usage report. After couple of searches on Google I have decided to use Arduino as a controller unit to realize my itchy dream. Kinda!  smiley-mr-green Its versatility and additional available modules allows it to be used in any other further projects. It's what I have searched for.

I have some electrical and software engineering knowledge. But I need some initial advise on choosing best suitable components, Arduino board, how to transmit data using e.g. Wi-Fi, about (maybe) available software that I can adapt, etc. As I know I need sensors (Hall-Effect Current Sensor and voltage divider), Arduino board, wireless module and web based software. Two hands and brain also.

What you think guys, where to start, what should I know, which modules do I need?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

What you think guys
I think that posting in the section of the forum for THE Arduino project was inappropriate.

How many sensors do you need to read? That will determine which board is appropriate.

Using an Ethernet shield is going to be orders of magnitude simpler and orders of magnitude more reliable than WiFi.

As for the Web-Based-Software, you said you were proficient there. Setting up Apache, MySQL, and PHP on a PC is a relatively simple process. Then, the Arduino can make GET requests to that server, executing whatever script(s) is/are appropriate. One script that handles all kinds of data is a neat objective. Many scripts that handle one kind of data are easier to design, implement, and debug.

Using PHP means that you can design forms that display the data saved in your database, so that any client can access the data you want to share.

View Profile

Thank you for your reply!

In my project I need to measure current and voltage to calculate watts and watt hours. So I need sensors to measure current and voltage respectively. Moreover I need also data transmitter because I'm going to use it far away from available ethernet socket. To be able to compare data it's necessary to have some storage. Transmit data over internet and then analyze is the best way to do. And also it's really interesting challenging task. (I just come across Xively, it allows to store and export data and it's free. Something else?) PHP/mySQL would be also very nice for me.

I want to order necessary gear and parts quickly because it will take a while until I receive. But I'm not sure about my requirements. It's my first project.

New Jersey
Faraday Member
View Profile

Take a look at these two links to get some ideas:

http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/
http://www.desert-home.com/p/test-html-code.html

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

Is this project intended to measure power consumption in a mains voltage circuit?

If so, do you have the knowledge and experience needed to connect electronics to mains voltages safely? If you get it wrong, there are plenty of ways for this to kill somebody or set the house on fire.

It's my first project.

It's very ambitious for a first project, in my view.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

View Profile

Nice, especially first one!

Is this project intended to measure power consumption in a mains voltage circuit?

If so, do you have the knowledge and experience needed to connect electronics to mains voltages safely? If you get it wrong, there are plenty of ways for this to kill somebody or set the house on fire.

It's my first project.

It's very ambitious for a first project, in my view.

I want to measure two 250W solar panels - one tracked, one static - and mains electricity.
About safety, I did similar things before, e.g. tube amp, inverter etc. But it will be my first micro controller project.  smiley-roll-blue

View Profile

Who knows, what kind of current sensor would be the best choice to measure power using Arduino?
1. Shunt resistor
2. ACS712 20A current sensor
3. Current transformer

Measured voltage and current will be 0 - 50v DC and max 20A respectively.

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

2. ACS712 20A current sensor

I have only just started to look into this but I can't see what more you could ask for than a ACS712 good for 30A? They are convenient, properly packaged, made for the job, and yours for $2.32, post free.

View Profile

Thank you guys!

I have ordered:
1. Arduino Uno R3
2. ACS712-20A
3. Ethernet Shield
5. SD Card Shield with clock (connection fail backup)

I will share my experience later.

View Profile

Hi again guys!

I have already received some of my ordered items and Arduino Uno board. Directly started with creating a simple online temperature and humidity monitor using Xively. And I think nicely done  smiley-lol: https://xively.com/feeds/762305372

So much fun!

But problem is, Xively was down from 8:30 to 13:00 (+4GMT), you can see from Xively feed. Now I have decided to add SD Card shield to be able to store the data locally in case of any interruption and then upload instantly when connection is achieved. As I know, with Xively it is not possible, because it can log only over a time.

So I need your help and suggestions. What kind of cloud do I need, maybe EmonCMS, is there any similar example using SD card Shield etc?

Thanks you!

* Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 12.11.24 PM.png (58.41 KB, 1035x488 - viewed 8 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: