Go Down

Topic: programming new arduino ATMEGA168 (Read 567 times) previous topic - next topic

thefatmoop

I thought I damaged the ATMEGA168 (found out i didn't), But when I used a replacement nothing happened when power was on. I'm guessing i need to go to Tools -> burn bootloader -> ?? what would I use for an arduino diecimila?

jimboradley

I had the same problem.  Turned out some of my solder joints weren't as secure as I thought they were.  If it's a kit, check all your connections to the PCB and make sure they're all solid.  As for burning the bootloader, I can't help you there.  Hope that's helpful.

spiffed

I thought I damaged the ATMEGA168 (found out i didn't), But when I used a replacement nothing happened when power was on. I'm guessing i need to go to Tools -> burn bootloader -> ?? what would I use for an arduino diecimila?

Assuming you have a brand-new ATmega168 (not a pre-programmed one), you'll need to burn the boot-loader.
Depending on your situation, the easiest programmer to build and use is likely the parallel port programmer.
iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

ron_123

Jun 08, 2008, 09:17 am Last Edit: Jun 08, 2008, 09:18 am by ron_123 Reason: 1
I had a new Freeduino SB kit and I tried out Blink and such and all was great.  I was follong around and hooked up a noise making circut to pin 13 as that was the LED I was blinking.  The noise also came on when the LED blinked.  I then tweeked the software and tried to re-send the program and got an error, the old blink program kept running though.  Then I disconnected the noise maker and still got an error.  I un-plugged and re-plugged and reset and tried dozens of times to reprogram via USB and failed.  I was so bummed and thought I had major issues. I suspected the boot loader but was unclear hwo it got hosed simply from having a load on Pin 13 while loading a new program, but I built the Parallel port programmer as suggested in post above and re-burned bootloader using Arduino V11 and all was fine right after that.  USB programming is great again.  I will refrane from having Pin 13 hooked up (and Pin 0 & 1 as well) when uploading software as these are used during the burn process.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy