Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: programming new arduino ATMEGA168  (Read 512 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I thought I damaged the ATMEGA168 (found out i didn't), But when I used a replacement nothing happened when power was on. I'm guessing i need to go to Tools -> burn bootloader -> ?? what would I use for an arduino diecimila?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I had the same problem.  Turned out some of my solder joints weren't as secure as I thought they were.  If it's a kit, check all your connections to the PCB and make sure they're all solid.  As for burning the bootloader, I can't help you there.  Hope that's helpful.

Don't Panic
View Profile

I thought I damaged the ATMEGA168 (found out i didn't), But when I used a replacement nothing happened when power was on. I'm guessing i need to go to Tools -> burn bootloader -> ?? what would I use for an arduino diecimila?
Assuming you have a brand-new ATmega168 (not a pre-programmed one), you'll need to burn the boot-loader.
Depending on your situation, the easiest programmer to build and use is likely the parallel port programmer.

iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I had a new Freeduino SB kit and I tried out Blink and such and all was great.  I was follong around and hooked up a noise making circut to pin 13 as that was the LED I was blinking.  The noise also came on when the LED blinked.  I then tweeked the software and tried to re-send the program and got an error, the old blink program kept running though.  Then I disconnected the noise maker and still got an error.  I un-plugged and re-plugged and reset and tried dozens of times to reprogram via USB and failed.  I was so bummed and thought I had major issues. I suspected the boot loader but was unclear hwo it got hosed simply from having a load on Pin 13 while loading a new program, but I built the Parallel port programmer as suggested in post above and re-burned bootloader using Arduino V11 and all was fine right after that.  USB programming is great again.  I will refrane from having Pin 13 hooked up (and Pin 0 & 1 as well) when uploading software as these are used during the burn process.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 02:18:03 am by ron_123 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: