Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: MaxSerial "programmer not responding" with Ubuntu  (Read 373 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi again!

I'm having trouble with this Freeduino MaxSerial board. I'm trying to program it via the serial interface from an Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) desktop. The Arduino suite installed fine, but when I tried to upload the Blink program, it gave me an error after a few seconds:

Code:
Binary sketch size: 1104 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

This happens every time. A solution others have had - liberal pressing of the reset button in various ways - hasn't helped. I'm confident I've got the right port (/dev/ttyS0) as other devices work off of it. The program compiled OK and I have not ever been able to communicate with this board previously.

The board (Mega168 based) seems superficially to be working. The power light is on fine and an LED on p13 is slowly pulsating (I'm guessing this is a program pre-loaded by the chap who made it). Hitting the rest button briefly (0.5sec max) interrupts this pulsing and there is no visual cues that any communication is happening.

Any idea what diagnosis steps I could take now to find the fault? Could the serial port be misconfiguration (I notice that there are a fair few "settings" for an ttySx interface) - if so what might the required settings be?

I see other peeps with this error concluding they have dud boards - is this likely if the program on board seems to be running?

Don't Panic
View Profile

The board (Mega168 based) seems superficially to be working. The power light is on fine and an LED on p13 is slowly pulsating (I'm guessing this is a program pre-loaded by the chap who made it).
Yes, the pin 13 LED should be slowly pulsing on and off, this is normal and expected.

Any idea what diagnosis steps I could take now to find the fault?
  • When you first click program, does the pin 13 LED begin rapidly blinking for a short period then resume pulsing? This indicates the board is correctly receiving the reset signal.
  • Use a wire to jumper pins 0 and 1 (RX/TX), then use a terminal program to connect to the port. Are your characters echoed back?
  • Is it a straight-through serial cable? generally these are male-female.
  • Are you powering the board with an external power supply rated between about 7.5V and 20V?
  • There are directions for setting the IDE with upload.verbose. Using these will let you see the actual call to avrdude. Copy the command, paste it into a terminal and provide the results, this gives a much better understanding of where it's failing.
Could the serial port be misconfiguration (I notice that there are a fair few "settings" for an ttySx interface) - if so what might the required settings be?
The serial port should be configured to assert it's DTR line on open, or at very worst, assert the DTR line on close. This is typical, but who knows. The Arduino IDE should be capable of configuring anything else.

Did you purchase a pre-assembled board or the kit? The pre-assembled version gets the pulsing program installed after it's assembled, so we know it worked before. The kit version just has it burned to the chip, and we have a whole slew of potential assembly issues. Feel free to fire off an email to service@fundamentallogic.com for support as well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:42:35 am by spiffed » Logged

iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi Spiffed, thanks for the quick reply. The most pertinent of your questions was this one:

# Use a wire to jumper pins 0 and 1 (RX/TX), then use a terminal program to connect to the port. Are your characters echoed back?

It didn't. I decided to track it back a little and found that the feedback occurred if I contacted TX and RX together on my desktop, but not at the board end of the cable. It was advertised as an "extension cable" and the chap it the shop assured me it wasn't a null modem, but I guess it's not a good one nonetheless.

I made a breakthough using the USB adaptor I was trying previously, so I'll give that another stab before I buy a new cable. I got the pre-assembled kit, so I'm pretty confident it's good!

Cheers!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: