Go Down

Topic: Multiple sketchbook locations (Read 2457 times) previous topic - next topic

robtillaart

I know that most Arduino code is not confidential but the idea of saving any of my personal stuff on someone else's computer seems like madness to me.

You could encrypt the data before uploading ? mainly use it as a safe backup. Or as an encrypted drive.
If your personal data is so confidential you should consider to have encrypted drives on you PC too.

How would you know if the Mafia (from whatever country) bought out the company that owns the servers?

You would never know,

I think loosing the data (inaccessability) is a far bigger problem than people reading it (confidentiality) when storing on a remote server. It should never be your only external backup! I have worked with companies that stored their backups triple-wise in three continents to meet their redundancy requirements. If all three servers crashed at the same time,  the world would have a bigger problem than the data.
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

CrossRoads

The magic numbers listed, I just derive them as needed.
440 is Middle A, not C. So you could be out of tune there!

We can't access dropbox, and many other sites, at work. Blocked for virus protection reasons.

I've tried google docs cloud spreadsheet thing, just too slow for me.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

liudr

Ah. I would just use
byte analog_samples = 10.

If you add const then the analog_samples is treated like a def and won't occupy any SRAM. Without const it would occupy SRAM.

Code: [Select]
const byte analog_samples = 10;

The above is better than #define because the compiler will check data type and report error when type mismatch happens. I should have migrated to const but am too old-fashioned to do it. Give me some time.

liudr

We can't access dropbox, and many other sites, at work. Blocked for virus protection reasons.

I've tried google docs cloud spreadsheet thing, just too slow for me.

What about microsoft onedrive? It has some additional feature to fetch files from outside onedrive too.

liudr

Riva,

You are a couple steps ahead of me. What is your experience running the IDE in dropbox? Is there any performance issues? I considered moving the IDE but didn't actually do it.

robtillaart

Very good ! at least someone took notice ;)

Deriving those values as needed is absolutely good, but you should also document them and if that is not done they become magic numbers for those that do not understand the derivation. Well chosen var/function names is the easiest way to document code.

Free after Arthur C Clarke
Any sufficiently incomprehensible number is indistinguishable from magic.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

CrossRoads

Ooh, bad paraphrasing 8)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I like this, from an old Mitsubishi ad series:
"Technically, anything is possible."

And from this Nissan ad series:
"Oh, it's you, Bob!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKtihDtooQ
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Riva

You are a couple steps ahead of me. What is your experience running the IDE in dropbox? Is there any performance issues? I considered moving the IDE but didn't actually do it.

No performance issues as it's all running from the local drive but any changes get synced with the online Dropbox (assuming the program is running). You also get another layer of safety as deleted files that had synced online can be recovered if you log into the web interface.

Coding Badly

How would you know if the Mafia (from whatever country) bought out the company that owns the servers?

Edward Snowden is proof that the barrier to data theft is significantly lower.  At this point in time, only a fool would trust sensitive data to the cloud.

liudr

I thought Snowden had approved access to the info he took and spread. He didn't hack, did he? With me residing in US, surely I am getting some negative things from media about Snowden but I didn't think it was a hacker scheme. Cloud is not safe from theft. It is safer again file loss than only operating on local computers without backups. When your files make millions in your competitors' hands or incriminate you, good luck hiding them.

Coding Badly

I thought Snowden had approved access to the info he took and spread.

The point is... One of the most secure organizations in the world had an unknown amount of data stolen by someone working for that organization.  It is simply not necessary for a criminal organization to be involved for sensitive data to be stolen.  A jackass with a thumb drive and key-card access is all that is necessary.

He didn't hack, did he?

He did.  The hack accomplished two things: 1. The NSA has no idea how much data he stole and, even if they get their hands on him, they will very likely never know; 2. The NSA had no idea anything was stolen until Snowden admitted that he stole something.

Cloud is not safe from theft.

Most (maybe all) incarnations are not safe.  The trick is to encrypt the data before it leaves the client and only decrypt on the client.  Anything else is vulnerable.  Just ask the NSA.

liudr

While you are on line with NSA, ask about whether they forced your cpu company to develop back doors or leave vulnerability in their hardware encryption so that NSA can defeat it in record time. If your local hardware is not even able to secure data, no way you can hide anything. I wonder if we should use some quantum mechanics powered random number generators to help with encryption.

mjward

With Condoleeza Rice now on the board of Dropbox, Snowden is recommending Spideroak as an alternative. End-to-end encryption.

Go Up