Go Down

Topic: Linux & Arduino (Read 2724 times) previous topic - next topic



I just installed xubuntu 14.04 and had no problems getting Arduino set up and running. Install Java and join the dialout group. Good to go it seems . Minor hiccup with Java, couldn't install from ubuntu and had to use the Oracle pkg. Not a show stopper. Use the LTS releases and save going through all the pain of getting your system the way you want it.

Good luck.


Linux Mint Cinnamon with Mega2560 and TFT.
1) Why is the reset switch put in the middle of the board, where you can't get at it if you have a shield plugged in !
2) Do I need to reset the target board after I upload a sketch ?  I used to need to do this with uC boards when I had a ROM emulator plugged in and uploaded the uCode.
3) As normal user, I change the permissions for the detected port, compile and upload a (sample: TFTDisplayText) sketch apparently successfully, but the target seems to do nothing.
4) If I run the IDE as root, then try to upload, I get "
Binary sketch size: 8,718 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
Binary sketch size: 8,718 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"
5) The IDE shows "Arduino UNO on /dev/ttyACM0, even though it is a Mega2560.  Is this ok ?



You are better off belonging to the dialout group to get permission to use the /dev/ttyACMn ports.

The command, groups, in a terminal will show the groups you belong to.

In a terminal the command, sudo adduser YourUserName dialout, will add you to the dialout group, if necessary.

Choose the right board to work with the Mega. Tools | Board | "Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK"

A program compiled for the Uno isn't likely to work on the Mega. Also the Mega and Uno have different booloaders so the upload will fail.

Shields that block access to the reset button should provide one on the shield.


UPDATE: The screen on my Aspire One D250 broke, which is apparently common. I've replaced it with a newer Aspire One, which I just threw my SSD & memory into, and the IDE now recognizes my Arduinos - I guess it was some kind of issue with the computer itself.

Now I'll see if I can log on to the TKIP-protected network at work - my old one wouldn't.

Go Up