Go Down

Topic: Voltage Question (Read 349 times) previous topic - next topic

Pauly

Hi,
I'm using an LM35 sensor to get a temperature reading and view it on an LCD screen.
I get a lower reading when the power is supplied with a USB cable by my computer and a higher reader when power is supplied by a 9v battery.  If all of the power is supplied by the 5 volt pin ,why would my power source make a difference?

Thanks.

Grumpy_Mike

Odd, how much lower?
Have you tried looking at the value from just a potential divider under these two conditions, it could be that it is actually the Vref on the A/D that is changing. The on board voltage regulator would give a different tolerance on the nominal 5V than you would get from the USB and that could account for the different reading. Try measuring the output of the sensor with a DVM, it shouldn't change much under different voltages.

kg4wsv

Check the USB voltage and make sure it's actually 5V, and not a bit below spec.  Try plugging in to a different port, or into a self-powered hub.

If your LM35 happens to be located near the 7805 voltage regulator that could explain it - the regulator isn't in use when using USB power.  When it is in use, as when you run off battery, it generates heat.

-j

Pauly

Thanks for the hints.  One thing I forgot to mention is that the change is instant, meaning I have to adjust the pot to see the LCD screen clearly when switching to the 9 volt battery.  The change in temp is about 10 degrees fahrenheit.
I'll try playing around with it this weekend.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy