Go Down

Topic: Sound Detection Circuit - Following Handclaps (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic

quackmaster7000

midna

Hi! I hope someone still reads this thread. I'm a person who has no previous experience of electric circuits, but enough in programming. I am trying to make my arduino detect sounds. SO far I am the happy owner of an electret microphone (omnidirectional, which is completely ok by me), and of a piezo microphone.

My piezo only reacts to knocks, the other one just sends insane chains of values even if I am quiet as a mouse. I understand I need an amplifier. I have NO IDEA how to connect it to the piezo/electret and I do not understand the strange drawings on the websites. I only understand pictures or literally colourful explanations. Can you guys help me? I have the LEDs down and working, I can connect them and make them be bright and so on, but can't get a value from the mikes. Please share some wisdom with me, it should be elementary for you from what I hear.

Midna

mem

Hi midna,

The best advice I can give is to encourage you to read up on audio amplification in an elementary electronics book.  A visit to your local library should provide you with access to better explanations then I could give in a few sentences here.
And I am sure you can find resources on the net for people just coming into electronics that explain concepts like microphone amplification in terms you can understand.

I hope this is the start of a very enjoyable learning experience you.

Have fun!

midna

Hello to you too!

Sadly for all of us, I have just spent my last two evenings in search of an easy to do, DIY tutorial, even on youtube. However I found nothing that looked doable. There is a gap between the same rotten tutorials that you can find even on the arduino page, and the supercool-supercomplicated stuff. The kind-of-easy things are completely omitted. I just need the simplest picture of a mike connected to an amplifier, and back to arduino. Apparently it is one of the most omitted things in the history of electronics. But thanks for your advice!

Midna

Go Up