Go Down

Topic: "usbserial" vanished from the Serial Port submenu (Read 744 times) previous topic - next topic

mainstreetmark

I've been using the Arduino Duemilanove pretty solidly for about a day and a half now, and am nearing the end of my particular experiment, when suddenly, Arduino (the programming environ) locked up, and after force quitting, rebooting, re-installing the latest usbserial drivers i could find (2.2.10), I still only have bluetooth drivers in the serial menu.

What happened?  Is there a log I can look at?  Some sort of weird reset scenario?

I'm on a Macbook Pro with Leopard.

The USB ports are still functional, according to the iPhone.

kg4wsv

Funny, just today I had a solder bridge resulting in a power short and saw the same behavior.  Once I removed the offending shield, the Arduino was just fine.

Check for a power overload or maybe a short.

-j

mainstreetmark

Really?  And that removed those /dev files from the host OS?  Is the software just sort of "giving up"?

ANd, yeah, i was working on a protoshield, but even before I plug back in the USB, there is no /dev/usb* whatever.

Hmf.

I'm brewing tomorrow, and hoped I could finish this dumb bubble counter before then.  Beer comes first, though.  :)

kg4wsv

The device special files (/dev/tty.usbserial-12345678) are dynamic, and only exist when the device is attached.

-j

mainstreetmark

Well, that 'splains that.

I have a larger issue then.  :(

Without any shield, the Arduino apparently no longer registers.  

Advice?

kg4wsv

Power cycle everything, all at the same time.  Watch for any powered hubs, etc.  If that doesn't work, change to a different USB port.

If it doesn't work after that, it's beginning to sound like a dead arduino...

Which arduino?  The Diecimilla and newer models have a polyfuse, which may offer some protection.  That fuse is self-resetting, but I suppose it is possible to stress it past the point it can recover.

Maybe someone else has ideas.

-j

Go Up