Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: To get continuous data from a rocket going ~mach 1.5 can I use an Xbee Pro?  (Read 203 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm helping to build a rocket to go 10,000 feet and we want a continuous data link while the rocket is flying. The launchpad is in a desert with no trees other obstructions but can the XBee Pro 900 transmit while going that fast and does the speed/altitude have any affect on the wireless signal of the 900?

If there is a problem with the speed during flight could we turn on the radio at apogee/descent and still get a signal? Also, is there any other type of wireless system you would recommend to look at or is the XBee definitely our best option? We have to take power consumption into consideration as well because batteries are heavy!

EDIT: Also, looks like I'm going to need a high gain antenna. Not sure if that will work very well if I'm at 10k ft and moving fast. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:46:14 am by atomar94 » Logged

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

but can the XBee Pro 900 transmit while going that fast
Of course it can. The speed it is moving is irrelevant. It will be able to transmit.

What is the supposed range of the XBee Pro 900? Have you tested that you get reliable communication at the 10,000 foot distance you need?

does the speed/altitude have any affect on the wireless signal of the 900?
Speed and altitude don't affect radio waves. Whether the distance is excessive, or not, remains to be seen.

Norfolk UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Speed and altitude don't affect radio waves.
Well not the speeds being talked about here.  smiley-wink

There is no such thing as a stupid question but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Edison Member
View Profile

At an altitude of 10,000ft, the horizon is about 120 miles so the range isn't going to be a problem especially in a desert. I don't know what the Tx power is on an XBee Pro but if it is on the order of 100mW or more it should be plenty.

Pete

Where are the Nick Gammons of yesteryear?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

At an altitude of 10,000ft, the horizon is about 120 miles so the range isn't going to be a problem especially in a desert. I don't know what the Tx power is on an XBee Pro but if it is on the order of 100mW or more it should be plenty.

Pete
Assuming a decent antenna, among other things. OP hasn't told us anything about the particular XBees being used, so any assumptions about range are a bit premature.

View Profile

The Tx power is 50mW. As for antennas, I'm not sure what to use. A calculator on the internet recommended a 2.1 dB dipole antenna for a range of 3km. What sort of antenna would you recommend?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: