Go Down

Topic: Nick Gammon (Read 11764 times) previous topic - next topic

SurferTim

Anybody know what happened to Nick Gammon? I have not seen a post since February. I tried to send a PM to him to see if he was ok, but got this message when I tried:
User 'Nick Gammon' has blocked your personal message.

I still use his "blink without delay" code. I miss reading his stuff.

johnwasser

Nick Gammon appers to be alive and well and posted a reply on his forum earlier today:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=12509&reply=1#reply1

I guess he got tired of answering questions in the Arduino forums.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1G2qoGwMRXx8az71DVP1E81jShxtbSh5Hp

SurferTim

Thanks, John. I guess you may be correct. I miss his contributions here.

Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

JChristensen

A great loss to the forum and the community. Nick produced a great body of work, I hope he keeps his web site up.

MAS3

Jul 15, 2014, 01:55 am Last Edit: Aug 17, 2014, 12:04 pm by MAS3 Reason: 1
As pointed out a year ago: i appreciated Nick's contributions very much.

Sometime early this year, a moderator mentioned the loss of a fellow moderator due to lack of support (may i add: to say the least and to keep being polite) from the Arduino core team.
I read that (and other posts over the last year) as a total lack of interest towards the forum, and moderators that have to steer the forum without sufficient rights to do that job.

I can count (i've got at least two fingers), so it's not hard to find which of the moderators was lost this way.
And a big loss it is, to all of this community.
I'm not disrespecting any of the past, present or future moderators, but i think this needs to be said.
Even if some or all of the moderators might have decided to not make an issue out of this in order to keep the peace over here.

I have some experience in moderating on a board (not even close to what's going on over here), and i know that if you are serious about that (like anything) and get no support at all, things will be very hard to get done.
Choosing to stop moderating that board would mean stopping any activity at all over there, as each and every visit to the board will be a painful reminder of you putting your soul into it, and some founder of that board (who rarely offers an actual contribution anymore) can't be bothered to give a sh** about such dedication.

Nick, if you are still visiting this board, let me tell you once again: your contributions to this community will not be forgotten and certainly are appreciated very, very much.
They are of great help to anybody looking for some guidance.
There are lots of people doing a great job over here and i do not want to skip them.
But still:

Nick, we miss you !

Please don't leave the community if you ever thought of doing so.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Robin2

Jul 15, 2014, 09:35 am Last Edit: Jul 15, 2014, 09:38 am by Robin2 Reason: 1

Nick, we miss you !

Please don't leave the community if you ever thought of doing so.

+10

...R

PS, @MAS3      +10 for your whole post.  ...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Grumpy_Mike

Just like to say that I miss him too.
While I understand why he left, things are finally moving on that front and progress has been made and is already in place.

JChristensen

I just had this really weird feeling like I'd fallen into a time warp or something, but it does indeed appear that Nick is back on the forum today.  Welcome back Nick, you were certainly missed!

Jantje

Welcome back nick  :D
I hope you are back to stay
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

nickgammon

Aug 17, 2014, 03:02 am Last Edit: Aug 17, 2014, 11:46 pm by Nick Gammon Reason: 1
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I have indeed been taking a bit of a break from this forum, for reasons that MAS3 fairly accurately guessed.

This is an appropriate time to say "thanks" to everyone who has been supportive of my efforts, which include all the moderators and pretty-much all of the frequent posters here.

Let me tell you a funny (true) story that happened to me just last night ...

I was picking up my son from his year 12 school formal (dance) at around 2 AM this morning. In the car were also his date and another guy, a friend of both of them.

During the drive to take them home we were making small conversation, when the friend revealed he was studying Engineering at Swinburne University of Technology in Hawthorn (Victoria, Australia), doing robotics. Now this sounded interesting so I asked if they used microprocessors.

"Yes," he said.

"What sort?" I ask.

"They are made by Atmel," he replies.

"What part number?" I ask, trying to get more information out of him. :)

"A-T-M-E-G-A-3-2-8" he spells out for me.

Cool, I thought, looks like I stumbled across a random Arduiono enthusiast when I least expected to.

It turns out that they are making maze-solving robots as part of their Uni course, with the Arduino as being the core of the project. Further conversation revealed he had a 3D printer at home which he had made himself, with the Arduino being the controller for it. And he had a Raspberry Pi.

Interesting, isn't it, that you can find a fellow Arduino user "in the wild"? It doesn't happen that often to me, I must admit.

BTW I wouldn't mind seeing this 3D printer. I might get inspired to make my own. ;)
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

CrossRoads

Hey Nick, welcome back. Spam seems to be more under control these days. Usually 8)
MrsCrossRoads was talking Arduino projects (or our book) with one of our fencer's parents, also an engineer, led to discussing our son who was just finishing up 2nd year college at engineering school, led to phone interview and summer job doing java programming for network server stuff. They were quite impressed with his work and have asked if could come back next summer too.
I even got him to write a java program for me that can take patterns from an excel file and export to an array I can cut & paste into a sketch to display on the 9x9x9 LED cube we are making (2 more layers to go!).
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

MAS3

Welcome back, Nick !
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

SurferTim

Aug 17, 2014, 02:53 pm Last Edit: Aug 17, 2014, 03:14 pm by SurferTim Reason: 1
Glad to see you back, Nick! Don't let the spammers and complainers grind you down. The rest of us appreciate what you do for our community.  :)

Quote from: Nick Gammon
Cool, I thought, looks like I stumbled across a random Arduino enthusiast when I least expected to.

I wonder if that young guy knows how lucky he is to know you.

jomarfaye

Hi everyone!!!

I am currently working on a project, i go straight ahead sirs...

I just want to display my received sms into my monitor,lcd monitor using vga, how will i do that, i am having trouble with sprintf();please help me

Go Up