Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: arduino with sharp IR sensors  (Read 713 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

so i'm working on a basic setup with 5 sharp infrared sensors, plugged into analog pins 0-4 for control, and running off the 5V power plug.  initially i tested this setup with 1 infrared sensor plugged into analog 3, getting power from the 5V.  the code i'm using is basically this:

senAval = analogRead(0);
Serial.println(senAval);
senBval = analogRead(1);
Serial.println(senBval);
senCval = analogRead(2);
Serial.println(senCval);
senDval = analogRead(3);
Serial.println(senDval);
senEval = analogRead(4);
Serial.println(senEval);

when i was initially testing with the one sensor, it was basically just two lines of code, and the arduino was returning different values based on my proximity to the sensor (between ~20 and ~500), which seemed to be correct.  when i got 5 sensors plugged in, and duplicated the code the only response i could get back is 1023.

did i damage the sensors (all of them??  seems unlikely)?  did i screw something up when i re-connected all of the control wires to the analog pins?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Can you provide the part number of your sensors or a link to a data sheet for them? The 3 terminal IR receiver devices I am familiar with output a digital signal not a analog signal. Here is a project using such a sensor from the playground.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/InfraredReceivers

Lefty

Arduino rocks
View Profile

GP2Y0A02YK0F

Arduino rocks
View Profile

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsharp-world.com%2Fproducts%2Fdevice%2Flineup%2Fdata%2Fpdf%2Fdatasheet%2Fgp2y0a02yk_e.pdf&ei=OCvHSaidD4G0sAOUpNjbBg&usg=AFQjCNHOJsUlAzPogQYz0svvgS5fRtri-Q&sig2=KLGkErvv_7_7JQbDWknKSw

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Sorry Brad, I have no experiance with that type of sensor. Seems like does output a analog voltage. Perhaps you could use a digital volt meter to see if there is valid voltage coming out of the sensor(s).

Lefty

Arduino rocks
View Profile

i think i found some bad solder points, so, that may be the problem!

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Make sure that the emitting LED is not interfering with a sensor not associated with it. As a test tape up all but one connector so no light gets out of it. See if this illimates the problem. If so you have a mechanical placement problem rather than an electrical one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: