Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Problems upgrading to atmega328  (Read 865 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been working with atmega168 chips in XP on a duemilanove, and using a bit-bang bootloader for them.  I recently ordered several pre-bootloaded atmega328 chips and I believe they all came with the wrong bootloader on them (3 blinks when reset = NG bootloader).  

I cannot upload any programs to them with arduino-0013 or 0012.  Every time I get:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I tried bit-bang the new chip but my way of bit-banging them does not recognize the new chip.  I have swapped back to an old 168 chip and everything is fine with uploading and running sketches, so I'm pretty sure its the new chips that are the problem.

I have not had any success with any walk-throughs for the 328 upgrade I have found online.  

Can anyone here offer some help?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Have you tried selecting ATMega328 in the Arduino IDE.
With my board I had exacly the same error message until I selected
another board under the Tools menu.
If you have a Duemilanove board with an ATMega328, you should select ATmega328 and not Duemilanove.

Hope this helps.

Connecticut, US
Edison Member
Whatduino
View Profile

If you got the ATmega328 s loose from Adafruit, you may edit your IDE file called boards.txt and make a new section for their special bootloader.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1233759966

Arduino rocks
View Profile

wibrard - Thanks!  

I love when problems can be resolved so simply.  I cannot believe I over looked that.  

Cheers!

-Jeffw

Moss
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi all,

I might have been a little overly eager to upload to 328, and bought four chips without bootloader. Now I am reluctant to either buy four with bootloader, and to buy another gadget just for burning such to my chips. I have tried the tutorials making a parallell burner and by modding the arduino board, but none of these deal with 328, and I have not managed to burn bl with the parallell option in IDE13 or 14, even after choosing 328 from the boards. Any idea to where I can look for help?

Joachim

Denver
God Member
Inactive - PM
View Profile

sy kristina, I hope this gives some hope and ideas.

I just received 3 un-programmed 328 chips from SparkFun. I burned the bootloader just fine on them using a parallel cable on REL 0013 of the IDE (XP).

I selected the 328 in Tools/Board, then Burn Bootloader w/ Parallel Programmer. Took about 30 sec. then a message indicating complete.  After loading the bootloader, the LED blinks once / sec.

I uploaded a sketch multiple times to test that I was not overriding the bootloader (as I heard can happen).

I'll try to be as much help as I can, but I really can't think of much to offer but a few suggestions . . .
- If possible, test if your cable burns the 168
- Don't make your cable too long. The one I use is ~6" & had problems when it was 3'.
- There's black magic regarding "giveio" and port set up. Google here and also try another machine if possible.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:02:05 pm by BroHogan » Logged

"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

Moss
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thank you for the input.

As far as I remember, I have uploaded the bl to the 168, but the 328 gives error. I will try again when I get back from travel. Thanks again

Moss
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hm, I'm back and this is the problem:

The 168 will not load either, I get :

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06
avrdude: AVR device not responding
 ***failed;  
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x00 != 0x07
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I probably loaded the bl with the gui from the japanese site, but the program does not allow me to choose the 328. The parallell cable I am trying is the one described as DAPA programmer, should I try the BSD programmer or shorten the cable from a standard printer-cable length?

Moss
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I made it, the site http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html
had been updated to include the 328 while I was away. Thnaks for the help!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: