Go Down

Topic: Problems upgrading to atmega328 (Read 943 times) previous topic - next topic

Jeffw

I've been working with atmega168 chips in XP on a duemilanove, and using a bit-bang bootloader for them.  I recently ordered several pre-bootloaded atmega328 chips and I believe they all came with the wrong bootloader on them (3 blinks when reset = NG bootloader).  

I cannot upload any programs to them with arduino-0013 or 0012.  Every time I get:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I tried bit-bang the new chip but my way of bit-banging them does not recognize the new chip.  I have swapped back to an old 168 chip and everything is fine with uploading and running sketches, so I'm pretty sure its the new chips that are the problem.

I have not had any success with any walk-throughs for the 328 upgrade I have found online.  

Can anyone here offer some help?

wibrard

Have you tried selecting ATMega328 in the Arduino IDE.
With my board I had exacly the same error message until I selected
another board under the Tools menu.
If you have a Duemilanove board with an ATMega328, you should select ATmega328 and not Duemilanove.

Hope this helps.

halley

If you got the ATmega328 s loose from Adafruit, you may edit your IDE file called boards.txt and make a new section for their special bootloader.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1233759966

Jeffw

wibrard - Thanks!  

I love when problems can be resolved so simply.  I cannot believe I over looked that.  

Cheers!

-Jeffw

sy kristina

Hi all,

I might have been a little overly eager to upload to 328, and bought four chips without bootloader. Now I am reluctant to either buy four with bootloader, and to buy another gadget just for burning such to my chips. I have tried the tutorials making a parallell burner and by modding the arduino board, but none of these deal with 328, and I have not managed to burn bl with the parallell option in IDE13 or 14, even after choosing 328 from the boards. Any idea to where I can look for help?

Joachim

bHogan

Mar 18, 2009, 02:26 am Last Edit: Mar 18, 2009, 04:02 am by BroHogan Reason: 1
sy kristina, I hope this gives some hope and ideas.

I just received 3 un-programmed 328 chips from SparkFun. I burned the bootloader just fine on them using a parallel cable on REL 0013 of the IDE (XP).

I selected the 328 in Tools/Board, then Burn Bootloader w/ Parallel Programmer. Took about 30 sec. then a message indicating complete.  After loading the bootloader, the LED blinks once / sec.

I uploaded a sketch multiple times to test that I was not overriding the bootloader (as I heard can happen).

I'll try to be as much help as I can, but I really can't think of much to offer but a few suggestions . . .
- If possible, test if your cable burns the 168
- Don't make your cable too long. The one I use is ~6" & had problems when it was 3'.
- There's black magic regarding "giveio" and port set up. Google here and also try another machine if possible.

Hope this helps.

"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

sy kristina

Thank you for the input.

As far as I remember, I have uploaded the bl to the 168, but the 328 gives error. I will try again when I get back from travel. Thanks again

sy kristina

Hm, I'm back and this is the problem:

The 168 will not load either, I get :

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06
avrdude: AVR device not responding
***failed;  
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
        0x00 != 0x07
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I probably loaded the bl with the gui from the japanese site, but the program does not allow me to choose the 328. The parallell cable I am trying is the one described as DAPA programmer, should I try the BSD programmer or shorten the cable from a standard printer-cable length?

sy kristina

I made it, the site http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html
had been updated to include the 328 while I was away. Thnaks for the help!

Go Up