Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How are communication protocols chosen for some sensor/device?  (Read 93 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello, I wanted to ask about how do companies choose which communication protocol is suitable for their device? For example, what makes I2C preferable over Serial or SPI in some instances. I am really new to this type of stuff and recently I was working with the MPU 6050 and I do not find it intuitive to understand why it uses I2C protocol. Are there criteria for this?

Thank you for your help!

Faraday Member
View Profile

They choose the protocol which is most likely to be used by the customers they expect to sell their chips to.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

SPI is faster and simpler than I2C, but I2C is perhaps more flexible. Asynchronous serial might be the low on the list of choices as it's just a stream of data, some protocol will likely need to be implemented at the application level.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: