Go Down

Topic: Typical Output Voltage on Digital Pins? (Read 463 times) previous topic - next topic

lhp

Hi,

I just got a Duemilanove board with the ATMEGA328 chip installed, and have a rather simple question to ask...

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see the actual voltage drop across a digital pin, so I set it to high and measured 4.82V when powered via standard USB A to B cable, and measured 4.94V when powering the board via 9VDC adapter.

Is this voltage difference something that's typical or should I expect them to be pretty close?  I guess I don't really know what kind of accuracy I should be expecting.  Thanks for bearing with my newbie question!

Grumpy_Mike

May 13, 2009, 09:51 am Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:52 am by Grumpy_Mike Reason: 1
is this voltage difference something that's typical

Yes a logic output can be anything greater than about 3.8v.

RuggedCircuits

That's pretty typical. USB "5V" is really loose and can be anything down to 4.4V, especially if going through a USB hub. Same thing with 5V regulators...their typical tolerance is 5% so 4.75V-5.25V is entirely reasonable.

lhp

Thanks for the responses.  It answered my concerns perfectly.

jayjay

Thats weird, I am getting 8.2v out of my digital pin. I connected a multimeter to digital pin 8 and the ground pin... Maybe I measured the wrong way? Still new.

The Clever Monkey

Is the pin actually driving a load?  Is it this high when driving a LED through a resistor, for example?
I yield() for co-routines.

Scott S.

get a new multimeter lol, and not one from radioshack.
- Scott

Grumpy_Mike

Maybe I measured the wrong way?

Yes you did.

What voltage do you measure on the 5V pin?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy