Go Down

Topic: Pic programmation for ATMEGA328 ? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hi !

I'm currently trying to make a customized arduino board. I just bought an ATMEGA328P-20PU for my card.
I wanted to test it on the Duemilanove before, but without any bootloader, I can't do anything.

I have a PIC programmer here, but I wasn't able at all to get some information if it's possible to write the bootloader with a PIC programmer (and how to) instead ICSP.

I'm quite good in electronics, usually, but I have some difficulties in programmation.

Thanks a lot,

I just figure out that my PIC programmer has also ISP interfacing.

What's the difference between ISP and ICSP ?
Can I use the ISP interface of the DataMan programmer on the ICSP port of the Duemilanove ?

Thanks Again,

Jun 26, 2009, 05:22 pm Last Edit: Jun 26, 2009, 05:25 pm by pwillard Reason: 1
They use different programming algorithms.

The AVR is actually simpler to program.  Making a PIC specific programmer work with AVR would not be a fun task.

Making a PIC and AVR programmer as a new project with very few parts is possible.

You can even program an AVR with a parallel port and 3 resistors, although it is not the safest programmer.

You might want to look at: http://www.lancos.com/prog.html

Not very expensive for parts... free software.

If you have a PICKIT programmer... then you only have a programmer that can program PICs.

Dataman programmers can program AVR's with the right adapters.

Thanks a lot for your answer. Now I understand what really is an AVR chip.

While waiting for it, I made a very very ugly parallele programmer thanks to this webpage : http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer

It worked well for burning one time.

So I guess my PIC programmer is totally useless for any Atmel microcontroller.

I give the AVR designers a LOT of credit for realizing the benefits of keeping the chip programming easy.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131