Go Down

Topic: Playing a melody simultaneously on multiple buzzers (Read 254 times) previous topic - next topic

megabouda

Hi there !

I am currently working on a project where 4 Hall Effect Sensors drive 4 different buzzers. Basically if for example hall effect sensor #1 is activated (via a magnet) then buzzer 1 plays a note (ultimately I want it to play a melody). Now if hall sensor 1 AND hall sensor 2 are simultanesously activated then the two associated buzzers, buzzer 1 and buzzer 2, play the note simultaneously.

I spend two days trying to make it work. I am aware the arduino (I use the MEGA 2560) have timer limitations this is why I use the ToneLibrary : https://code.google.com/p/rogue-code/wiki/ToneLibraryDocumentation. Basicaly it allows to play a note without blocking the code.

I tried to code it, however the piezzo buzzer do not act as intended: even if two or three hall sensors are activated, only one buzzer play a sound. Moreover after few tries, the whole circuit seems to block and my on/off do not have effect anymore.

For you to understand my code, be aware that in parallel the hall effect sensors also drive the rotating speed of two fans: the more hall effect sensors are activated the faster the fans turns. I got this part working using an additional motorshield.

I need help on this one, I do not see where my code is wrong and my understandment of the Tone Library is limited.

My current code:
Code: [Select]
//===============================
//Made by PAD and VM on the 08/07/2014. Ver 3.1
//===============================

#include <Tone.h>

// Definition of Motor Variables
int MotorSpin[2] = {12,13}; 
int MotorPWM[2] = {3,11}; 

const int hallPin[4] = {6,7,8,9};        // Pins attributed to hall effect sensors
const int buzzPin[4] = {50,46,42,38};    // Pins attributed to buzzers

//switches initialisation
const int switchPin = 30;                // Pin attributed to the global on/off switch
const int switchbuzzPin = 32;            // Pin attributed to the buzzers on/off switch

int switchState= 0;                      // Initialisation of the global on/off switch
int switchbuzzState =0;                  // Initialisation of the buzzer on/off switch

// Definition of the tones
Tone jingle1;
Tone jingle2;
Tone jingle3;
Tone jingle4;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);

pinMode(switchPin, INPUT);   
  pinMode(switchbuzzPin, INPUT);
  for (int i = 0; i<4;i++){
    pinMode(hallPin[i], INPUT);   
    pinMode(buzzPin[i], OUTPUT);
  } 
}

void loop()
{
   switchState=digitalRead(switchPin);            // Reading switchPin state
   switchbuzzState=digitalRead(switchbuzzPin);    // Reading switchbuzzPin state

Serial.print("switchbuzzState:");
   Serial.print(switchbuzzState);

if (switchState == HIGH)                         // Checking if global switch is ON
  {
    int Counter = 0;
    for (int i=0;i<4;i++)
    {
      if (digitalRead(hallPin[i]) == LOW )         // Checking which hall effect sensor is activated
      {
        Counter++ ;                                // Incrementing the counter

Serial.print("id:");
        Serial.print(i);                           // Printing the number of the activated hall sensors
      }
    }

int FanSpeed ;                                    // Definition of FanSpeed
if (Counter==0){
  FanSpeed=70;                                     // Set the fanSpeed to 70 if no hall effect activated, minimum fanspeed to break inertia
}
else {
  FanSpeed = map(Counter,1,4,95,255);              // Rises FansSpeed with each activated hall sensor
}

Serial.print("Counter:");
    Serial.print(Counter);       
    Serial.print("FanSpeed: ");
    Serial.print(FanSpeed);

Serial.println();

MotorSpeed(0,FanSpeed);                      // Orders motor 0 to turn at FanSpeed
    MotorSpeed(1,FanSpeed);                      // Orders motor 1 to turn at FanSpeed

delay(100);

if(switchbuzzState == LOW){                    // Checks if the buzzers on/off switch is ON

if(digitalRead(hallPin[1]) == LOW){        // Checks if hall sensor 1 is activated
        jingle1.begin(buzzPin[1]);               // Prepares buzzer 1 to play
        jingle1.play(NOTE_C4, 4000);             // Orders buzzer 1 to play C4 during 4 sec
      }
      if(digitalRead(hallPin[2]) == LOW){        // Checks if hall sensor 2 is activated
        jingle2.begin(buzzPin[2]);               // Prepares buzzer 2 to play
        jingle2.play(NOTE_D4, 4000);             // Orders buzzer 2 to play D4 during 4 sec
      }
      if(digitalRead(hallPin[3]) == LOW){
        jingle3.begin(buzzPin[3]);
        jingle3.play(NOTE_F4, 4000);
      }
      if(digitalRead(hallPin[4]) == LOW){
        jingle4.begin(buzzPin[4]);
        jingle4.play(NOTE_G4, 4000);
      }     
  }
  else{
  }

}

else {                                         // Orders fans to not rotate if global switch is OFF
   MotorSpeed(0,0);         
   MotorSpeed(1,0);
}
}

void MotorSpeed(int MotorID , int value) {     // Definition of MotorSpeed
  digitalWrite(MotorSpin[MotorID], HIGH);
  analogWrite(MotorPWM[MotorID], value);   
}

Thank you in advance.

megabouda

UPDATE :

Ok so actually, to get the Tone library to work on the Mega 2560, I had to replace all instances of this: #if defined(AVR_ATmega1280) And replaced it with this: #if defined(AVR_ATmega1280) || defined(AVR_ATmega2560)  in library file Tone.cpp.
Now the sound are correctly distributed simultaneously to the buzzers.

However I have another issue : as soon as the buzzers switch is ON, so as soon as the sound is distributed to the buzzers, the fan stop rotating ! Any idea on this ?

Thank you.

Cheers.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy