Go Down

Topic: Simple MIDI program change device issue (DFU with MocoLufa firmware) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

lawrence_doss

Aug 18, 2014, 09:06 am Last Edit: Aug 18, 2014, 10:15 am by lawrence_doss Reason: 1
Have a strange issue..  =(..
I wrote a small program and got that tested by connecting PIN 2 as MIDI device to a MIDI OX on a comp.. I can see all the Program changes coming through as expected... After that, did the DFU and put in the Moco Lufa firmware on it.. so far so good. Now I connect the USB to a computer and it recognizes as MID device... and again, I can see the required Program change messages coming through as expected. Now I connect it to a device that I need to do a program change and nothing happens. TO be sure , I plugged the device to my computer and send Program changes and it responds but it does not respond to my Arduino as a MIDI controller. Any thoughts pleeeeeeeeeese.

Grumpy_Mike

Now I connect the USB to a computer and it recognizes as MID device... and again, I can see the required Program change messages coming through as expected. Now I connect it to a device that I need to do a program change and nothing happens. TO be sure , I plugged the device to my computer and send Program changes and it responds but it does not respond to my Arduino as a MIDI controller.

When you connect it to your computer it is being a USB client device. When you connect it to your effects box it is still a client. Is your effects box not expecting a USB host?

lawrence_doss

Yikes...
Did not think of this...
Thanks...
If I can please trouble you shed some light on how I can make / tweak this to appear and function as a host ? like pulling the ID pin to GND ?
Regards,
Lawrence

Grumpy_Mike

Sorry it is a lot more complex that that.
You need a USB host shield.

How did you ever connect them up in the first place the sockets should have been incompatible on a standard USB lead.

lawrence_doss

Thanks Mike...
I connected the Arduino to a powered HUB via converter and then connected the device to the hub...
Regards,
Lawrence

Grumpy_Mike

via converter

USB plugs and sockets are designed so that you can't connect them like this. I think these converters are only for supplying power to devices with USB connectors. They are not meant for signals.

lawrence_doss

Mike...
Appreciate your thoughts. You are right...
My bad, I thought was too smart...
Regards,
Lawrence

Go Up