Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Burning Blank Atmega328 With Duemilanove  (Read 636 times)
North York, Ontario
Arduino rocks!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I picked up a blank atmega328 chip today to rig something up. I popped out my good chip and put in the blank, built an X3-to-ICSP cable as per here.

I then followed this guide, but the IDE hangs as soon as I select the burn bootloader option. The only way to unhang it is to use Task Manager to end the avrdude.exe task. When I do, I get the following in the console box at the bottom:
avrdude.exe: BitBang OK
avrdude.exe: pin assign miso 3 sck 5 mosi 6 reset 7
avrdude.exe: drain OK
 ft245r:  bitclk 4800 -> ft baud 2400
 ft245r:  bitclk 4800 -> ft baud 2400
avrdude.exe: BitBang OK
avrdude.exe: pin assign miso 3 sck 5 mosi 6 reset 7
avrdude.exe: drain OK

Ive waited up to ten minutes before ending the task, but it doesnt make a difference.

I tried using this method and it finishes successfully, but when I unhook the cable and use the IDE to try to upload a sketch (Blink), it compiles fine, but when it uploads, it tries for about 20 seconds, then it gives me this error:
Binary sketch size: 896 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x37
avrdude.exe: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

What should I do?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:23:31 pm by SpikedCola » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Not sure about this method - but last week I successfully used http://code.google.com/p/mega-isp/ to burn a bootloader onto an ATmega328p.

http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/11/04/arduino-avr-in-system-programmer-isp/ describes it in more detail.

You don't need anything other than yr Arduino and a couple of bypass capacitors to get this working.

North York, Ontario
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

So I set the IDE to burn the bootloader, and left it overnight, and Im not sure how long it took, but I FINALLY got a successful bootloader burn. I guess the 'this may take a minute' is a gross understatement.

Thanks to all those who read this thread! Problem solved.

KC4MM
View Profile

I burned bootloaders to five 328s the other day using a USBTinuISP and it took several minutes for each -- didn't time it but it was more than one minute and less than ten. It is pretty slow but it does work.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:52:17 am by RoyK » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: