Go Down

Topic: Burning Blank Atmega328 With Duemilanove (Read 789 times) previous topic - next topic

SpikedCola

Aug 15, 2009, 05:21 am Last Edit: Aug 15, 2009, 05:23 am by SpikedCola Reason: 1
I picked up a blank atmega328 chip today to rig something up. I popped out my good chip and put in the blank, built an X3-to-ICSP cable as per here.

I then followed this guide, but the IDE hangs as soon as I select the burn bootloader option. The only way to unhang it is to use Task Manager to end the avrdude.exe task. When I do, I get the following in the console box at the bottom:
avrdude.exe: BitBang OK
avrdude.exe: pin assign miso 3 sck 5 mosi 6 reset 7
avrdude.exe: drain OK
ft245r:  bitclk 4800 -> ft baud 2400
ft245r:  bitclk 4800 -> ft baud 2400
avrdude.exe: BitBang OK
avrdude.exe: pin assign miso 3 sck 5 mosi 6 reset 7
avrdude.exe: drain OK

Ive waited up to ten minutes before ending the task, but it doesnt make a difference.

I tried using this method and it finishes successfully, but when I unhook the cable and use the IDE to try to upload a sketch (Blink), it compiles fine, but when it uploads, it tries for about 20 seconds, then it gives me this error:
Binary sketch size: 896 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x37
avrdude.exe: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

What should I do?

lwhi

Not sure about this method - but last week I successfully used http://code.google.com/p/mega-isp/ to burn a bootloader onto an ATmega328p.

http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/11/04/arduino-avr-in-system-programmer-isp/ describes it in more detail.

You don't need anything other than yr Arduino and a couple of bypass capacitors to get this working.

SpikedCola

So I set the IDE to burn the bootloader, and left it overnight, and Im not sure how long it took, but I FINALLY got a successful bootloader burn. I guess the 'this may take a minute' is a gross understatement.

Thanks to all those who read this thread! Problem solved.

RoyK

Aug 16, 2009, 10:51 am Last Edit: Aug 16, 2009, 10:52 am by RoyK Reason: 1
I burned bootloaders to five 328s the other day using a USBTinuISP and it took several minutes for each -- didn't time it but it was more than one minute and less than ten. It is pretty slow but it does work.

Go Up