Go Down

Topic: Problems when loading sketchs. Replace Arduino? (Read 460 times) previous topic - next topic

galaxy

Hello,

I have a problem with Arduino 2009 and I'm not able to understand where the problem is. I would like someone to help me to understand if the problem is either the whole board or just the processor that is cheaper to be replaced.

During my experiments I made some mistakes with the wirings (maybe a shortcut) and I started receiving the following message every time I try to load a new sketch:

[font=Courier New]avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
       0x0c != 0xfe[/font]

However, during the loading I see that Arduino answer with the following:

[font=Courier New]avrdude: Send: A [41] . [98]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
       Hardware Version: 2
       Firmware Version: 1.16[/font]

For what I understand, this means that Arduino has properly decoded the request and properly sent an answer. This also means that the processor is working fine, at least the FW and the communication line. Am I correct?

But what about the flash? Is the "write protect" mechanism not working any more?
Or is the Arduino broken somewhere else?
Is there an expert that can tell which other Arduino section could cause the above behaviour?

Thanks for your help,

galaxy

pluggy

It could just be the bootloader that is mangled and needs burning again.  But for a one off its cheaper to replace the processor with a new one preloaded with a bootloader.  What you really need is more than one Arduino , so you can swap them round to see where the problem is :)
http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/index.html

galaxy

Thanks for the answer.

Actually I have another Arduino that works fine. I could move the processor from the working one to the broken one... but I'm a bit scared to break it if I do this game :-?.

How safe is this operation?

Mister Waldo

Thanks for the answer.

Actually I have another Arduino that works fine. I could move the processor from the working one to the broken one... but I'm a bit scared to break it if I do this game Huh.

How safe is this operation?

then why not use the working one?

galaxy

Well... indeed I'm using the working one.
But I would like to have the second one working as well. Just in case I short again.

pluggy

Its not that difficult to remove and replace the processor.  I use a small paring knife out of the wifes kitchen drawer.  (small, narrow, pointy blade).  Gently push it in between the socket and processor at one side and slightly twist it so the chip lifts slightly. Repeat at the other end and then go back to the other and lift it a bit further, carry on until you can lift it out with your fingers.  To replace it align the pins carefully and gently push it in at both ends at the same time.  
http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/index.html

Go Up