Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Damaged Duemilanove  (Read 373 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello, in a spectacularly boneheaded move, I have damaged my Duemilanove board. I absentmindedly connected 17 volts to the breadboard +- lines while forgetting the Arduino GND and +5V were also connected at the other end. I realised something was wrong as soon as the power LED lit up on the Arduino and I immediately disconnected but it was exposed to the voltage for a second or two.

Now, when I connect to the computer the power LED lights up and when I upload sketches the RX blips but nothing further happens and eventually I get a "programmer is not responding". Is there a chance I might have burnt something minor and replaceable on the board? Are there any simple steps I can follow to find that out? Or should I simply not bother and get a new one?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Are there any simple steps I can follow to find that out? Or should I simply not bother and get a new one?

There is one simple test you can run to see if the FTDI USB serial converter chip is functioning or not. Remove the AVR chip from it's socket. Wire a jumper from pin 0 to pin 1. Then plug your board into the PC's USB port. If the PC 'sees' the connection that is a good sign, if not, it's probably toast. Now launch the Arduino IDE and select the serial monitor. Now type something in the monitor and send it and if you get the same characters back then the FTDI device is probably OK and you can then just purchase a replacement AVR chip (with bootloader) for around $6-7 and be back in business. If the FTDI chip does not seem to function then the board is probably a write off unless you have experience unsoldering and soldering in a new FTDI SMD chip.

Good luck;

Lefty

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks, the PC registers an "FTDI USB Serial Device converter" but there's no reply to chars from the IDE's serial monitor. Oh well, time for a new board.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:39:06 am by ardudillo » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Did you select the proper comm port in the Arduino IDE tools section?

Lefty

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes, port is correct. I definitely have hardware damage, other boards work perfectly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: